cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.NET - JAVA Environments for BOEXI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I am new to BusinessObjects, we are planning to busy license of BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 3.1, and we are planning to setup the BOEXI 3.1 setup. I am confusing that, what is >NET and JAVA environments. When i tried to find some infromation on SDN, there is found that these environments. Could any clarify me that how these environments helps us. Could any one please answer these:

Is BOEXI 3.1 is enough to setup a server or do we need .NET or JAVA?

What is .NET or JAVA Environment?

Do we need to buy .NET, and do we need to install .NET on BOEXI 3.1 server? (.NET Environment)

Do we need to buy JAVA and do we need to install JAVA on BOEXI 3.1 server? (JAVA Environment)

BOEXI 3.1 is enough to work on all the tools then why we need .NET or JAVA and who they help?

Thanks & Regards

Ramakrishna Kamurthy

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

Is BOEXI 3.1 is enough to setup a server or do we need .NET or JAVA?

If you want to use the .NET Infoview (a custom interaction tool to interact with BOE) then you need to have .NET framework. If java then you do not need anything. However these are provided with the product setup.

What is .NET or JAVA Environment?

The Infoview is provided in .NET and Java for users using IIS or Tomcat. Also BOE sdks are provided to use them in .NET or JAVA based allocations to create any customized application.

Do we need to buy .NET, and do we need to install .NET on BOEXI 3.1 server? (.NET Environment)

Well, if you want to create a customized application in.NET then you need to have Visual Studio.

Do we need to buy JAVA and do we need to install JAVA on BOEXI 3.1 server? (JAVA Environment)

Java SDKs are also available in the setup.

BOEXI 3.1 is enough to work on all the tools then why we need .NET or JAVA and who they help?

BOE is a server based web-application. Many users use IIS, so .NET infoview is provided. Many users use Tomcat so JAVA infoview if provided.

For your environment you can talk to the sales team for more details. Or check the Administrative guide. Also [this|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/webcontent/uuid/3042e25c-a668-2b10-7fa7-a9d373687040 [original link is broken]] might be helpful.

Hope I have covered them all!

Regards,

AG.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks AG & Ludek, for your valuable information, almost i am clear about the environments. Could you please explain about SDKs and how these helps in creating customized applications and in what scenarios or when we will get requirement to create customized applications in BOE XI.

Thanks & Regards

Ramakrishna kamurthy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Could you please explain about SDKs

SDKs would help you to achieve some/ most of the features available using Infoview through a customized application.

how these helps in creating customized applications and in what scenarios or when we will get requirement to create customized applications in BOE XI.

Lets say you do not want to use the Infoview and have a separate application (for internal use) which needs to display some features like reports, scheduling, viewing etc then you can add those features in your application using the BOE sdks.

[Dev library|http://devlibrary.businessobjects.com/BusinessObjectsXIR2SP2/en/devsuite.htm] is something you would like to see!

Hope that helps!

Regards,

AG.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Could you please explain about SDKs

SDKs would help you to achieve some/ most of the features available using Infoview through a customized application.

how these helps in creating customized applications and in what scenarios or when we will get requirement to create customized applications in BOE XI.

Lets say you do not want to use the Infoview and have a separate application (for internal use) which needs to display some features like reports, scheduling, viewing etc then you can add those features in your application using the BOE sdks.

[Dev library|http://devlibrary.businessobjects.com/BusinessObjectsXIR2SP2/en/devsuite.htm] is something you would like to see!

Hope that helps!

Regards,

AG.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Bottom line question is; are you looking to run the BusinessObjects Enterprise "out of the box", or are you planning to customize it / add functionality, etc.?

If the former, than you do not need to worry about .NET or Java SDK, or about obtaining Visual Studio .NET.

If the latter, that you need to decide if you are more comfortable with programming in Visual Studio .NET or Java and proceed from there.

Ludek