Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Batch determination in sales orders

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have 2 questions related to batch handling in sales:

1. Can anyone list the pros and cons of having batch determination done in the sales order instead of at the time of delivery creation? Please describe in detail and do not just copy and paste the SAP standard explanations. Experiences are very welcome.

2. If I do batch determination in sales order, how do I make sure that the specific batch is there for delivery? In the ATP there is no such filed to include or exclude batches for a material, so I wonder - how is the batch reserved when entering it in the sales order? Please describe the reservation mechanisms if any.

Thanks in advance,

Lars

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Lars Tornblom,

1. Can anyone list the pros and cons of having batch determination done in the sales order instead of at the time of delivery creation?

We Can proceed with Batch Determination at sales order there is nothing wrong in it. The Batch that you determine at the order level remains the same in delivery. The batch gets copied in the delivery level.

1. You cannot change the Batches at Delivery level.

2. Batch Split is not possible at Order level. (Since BAtch split CHSP is available only at Delivery level)

2. If I do batch determination in sales order, how do I make sure that the specific batch is there for delivery?

Based on Copy controls the Batches that you have mentined at order level gets copies to Delivery. you cannot chenge the batch.

That is the reason why we proceed with Batch management at Delivery process, wherein we can choose the Batch Manually OR Go for Automatic Batch.

You can also perform Batch Split, Choose the Materials from the batch. that's having stock.

3. In the ATP there is no such filed to include or exclude batches for a material, so I wonder - how is the batch reserved when entering it in the sales order? Please describe the reservation mechanisms if any

We activate the Batch Management Indicator in The Material master - Sales: General data View. and proceed with Batch configuration in Logistics General. The Batch concept is managed by three modules MM,SD and PP. So its an integration point.

In the case you have suggested that Batch will be carried from Sales order, now the stocks are created in batches and stored in storage location. so the batch should exists before you raise an order then only you can confirm.

If no Batches are aintained and you are trying to enter batch in sales order it will throw an error stating "No Batches Maintained".

If Batches are there for the material then it will be assigned. If batches are not existing then it will throw an error as explained above.

Regards

Sathya

Edited by: Sathya Pavan Yedavalli venkata on Apr 27, 2009 8:42 AM

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

former_member211108
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

The disadvantage of determining the batch at order level are as below:

batch splits are not possible for sales orders

limitation using the strategies like fifo.

Reservation of available stock at very early stage like if sales order is requested after 3 months and you've the stock in your plant then it will be reserved against that sales order and may not be used for the delivery that are happening at earlier dates.

Hope this will help you.

Thanks and regards,

Atul

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello, friend.

ramanathan is correct that if batch determination is done in the sales order, changes cannot be done in the delivery. you have to do the changes in the sales order; hence, the preference for doing the determination in the delivery. also, picking and batch splitting in the delivery is more closely matched.

the advantages of doing it in the sales order is that at this stage you can already "reserve" the specific stock. you can support this function by making the right settings in your availability check (OVZ2, cumulative quantities). over-confirmation and the chances of having to do changes later will be minimized.

another advantage of doing the determination in the sales order is that when you create the delivery, the picking quantity, if relevant, can be directly entered in the picking tab, instead of going into the batch split page (which, if more many items are involved, can be quite tedious).

regards.

former_member217082
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Lars

For your first query , advantage is if a batch is maintained for a material then it is easy to identify which batch lot has been sent to which customer. But the disadvantage is , it is bit difficult to identify the batch lot if it gets expired

For your second query check the following links

[]

[https://forums.sdn.sap.com/click.jspa?searchID=25342138&messageID=6997087]

Regards

Srinath

former_member550050
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Friend

If the batch determination is active in sales order or if batch is specified in sales order then the same batch gets copied in the delivey document and no changs are allowed there

Batch at delivery cannot be different to batch of sales order

It is better to have batch determination activated only in delivery than i sales order as it gives better flexibility in terms of batch split

Regards

Raja