Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deactivating Password of the user.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

If I deactivated the password of the particular user using SU01,

What are the methods for the user to log in into SAP?

Regards

Karthika

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

tim_alsop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Karthika,

When a SAP users password is deactivated, this password cannot be used to authenticate the user. Instead, an external authentication method has to be used. For example, you can use SSO2 tickets, or SNC authentication combined with an appropriate SNC library (if logging onto ABAP system). When external authentication is used, the SAP password is not used and this is why it can be deactivated.

Thanks,

Tim

10 REPLIES 10

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Karthika,

Deactivated means...have you reset the password?

Regards,

0 Kudos

Hi,

I had deactivated the password SU01,In Log On Tab,There is option called Deactivate(Icon) near to Password Text Box.

Regards

Karthika

0 Kudos

Are you not able to reset password for the deeactivated user.we are on ECC 6.0 and able to reset the password.

which version you are on...

Edited by: Srinu Koveta on Apr 28, 2009 2:02 AM

0 Kudos

Hi,

I am also using ECC 6.0.I am able to reset the password.

I am just asking after deactivating the password(Deactivate Icon near Password Textbox),What are the possible methods to log in into the system?

Regards

Karthika

0 Kudos

>

> I am just asking after deactivating the password(Deactivate Icon near Password Textbox),What are the possible methods to log in into the system?

Hi,

all logon methods which are not password based. This has been answered already in this thread hasn't it?

b.rgds, Bernhard

tim_alsop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Karthika,

When a SAP users password is deactivated, this password cannot be used to authenticate the user. Instead, an external authentication method has to be used. For example, you can use SSO2 tickets, or SNC authentication combined with an appropriate SNC library (if logging onto ABAP system). When external authentication is used, the SAP password is not used and this is why it can be deactivated.

Thanks,

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Below are the only methods available to login to SAP without Password?

SNC

X.509

SAP logon tickets

May I know whether above methods can be used in normal circumstance or we need to any special configuration.

I am log in through SAP GUI.

In SAP logon Tickets method,It shows It will be used when login through portal or Workspace.

May I know What is Workspace?

Kindly help me to find the answer.Thanks in Advance.

Regards

Karthika

0 Kudos

Karthika,

SNC - this is an interface, not an authentication protocol. For SNC to be used to logon to SAP GUI you need an SNC library. The most common is to use an SNC library that implements the Kerberos protocol, but x.509 is also available. If your ABAP AS is on UNIX/Linux then you need to get this SNC library from a SAP partner, but if SAP is on Windows Server you can get an SNC library which implements Kerberos authentication from SAP.

X.509 - as mentioned above, to use x.509 you need to use SNC interface.

SAP logon tickets - it is possible to use logon ticket to logon to SAP using SAP GUI, but it first needs you to logon via a web browser, and then an active-x control is used in browser to launche SAP GUI ... This is used by some customers, but not as secure as the other methods discussed, and is very easy to setup.

Workspace - I am not 100% sure, but I beleive this refers to an old product which was available before SAP Portal was released.

Thanks,

Tim

0 Kudos

>

> Workspace - I am not 100% sure, but I beleive this refers to an old product which was available before SAP Portal was released.

> Tim

Hi, I think you meant Workplace?....

0 Kudos

>

> Hi, I think you meant Workplace?....

yes, probably. However, I just copied word Workplace from the previous post that I was responding to. I assume that the word Workplace was also meant to be used there.