cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with recovering backuped database

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

I have a very big problem. I have two backup dumps of a DB. One is in the sapdb format and one is an ASCII dump. With the ASCII dump I have no idea what I could do there.

Ok here now my problem: I need this database on a server so that client can access it. Problem here is that I tried to recover my backup with Database studio and this process works but then I am not able to set my database into online state. It says: -24988 SQL error [db_online -f); -9407, system error, unexpected error.

Any idea what could be the problem? I searched for the error without a helpful result.

I am also open for alternative solutions to get my backup on a server running. I also tried Max DB Data Wizard but there I couldnt get a connection to my fresh installed maxdb stuff.

Please help me out!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi John,

> I have a very big problem. I have two backup dumps of a DB. One is in the sapdb format and one is an ASCII dump. With the ASCII dump I have no idea what I could do there.

Me neither - how did you get the ASCII dump?

Depending on the format you may still use it with the loadercli.

> Ok here now my problem: I need this database on a server so that client can access it. Problem here is that I tried to recover my backup with Database studio and this process works but then I am not able to set my database into online state. It says: -24988 SQL error [db_online -f); -9407, system error, unexpected error.

Please check the KNLDIAG/KNLMSG file for a more detailed error description...

>

> Any idea what could be the problem? I searched for the error without a helpful result.

> I am also open for alternative solutions to get my backup on a server running. I also tried Max DB Data Wizard but there I couldnt get a connection to my fresh installed maxdb stuff.

Ok, the MaxDB Data Wizard is a third party program - no idea about it.

But I'm pretty sure that we'll figure out the backup issue.

BTW: what version of MaxDB are you using?

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

What about this "Please check the KNLDIAG/KNLMSG file for a more detailed error description..." stuff?

I know that there are diag files stored under "Program Files\sapdb\indep_data\wrk\dbname\DIAGHISTORY" but I dont know what to do with them since they are also very big.

About the version I am using: 7.7.06.09 - Maybe it is because the backup was created with a different version? How can I figure out what version it was?

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> What about this "Please check the KNLDIAG/KNLMSG file for a more detailed error description..." stuff?

> I know that there are diag files stored under "Program Filessapdbindep_datawrkdbnameDIAGHISTORY" but I dont know what to do with them since they are also very big.

Ok, the KNLMSG file (as you're already using MaxDB 7.7) is the log file of your database.

The files in the DIAGHISTORY folder are error analysis files that had automatically been copied to this location for later analysis. Just ignore these for now.

So - any entries in the KNLMSG file? You can display it in the DB Studio as "Database Messages".

> About the version I am using: 7.7.06.09 - Maybe it is because the backup was created with a different version? How can I figure out what version it was?

Hmm... depends.

You can get the version of the database backed up by showing the label of the backup.

To do this in DB Studio open the "Administration" and move to tab page "Backup".

There display the "Templates"-list at the lower end of the tab page.

Mark the template that points to your backup and right click it.

In the context menu choose "Show label..."

If you're already a bit comfortable with the command line interface, you may also just use this tab page or open the dbmcli tool and run this command:

medium_labeloffline <name or your medium>

But more important than that really is the error log (KNLMSG) I asked for.

regards,

Lars

p.s.

there is a very good SDN WIKI section on MaxDB trouble shooting:

[https://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/MaxDB/SAPMaxDBSupport+Guide]

[https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/wiki?path=/display/maxdb/standardproblemsituations]

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok I found something in DB Manager under Database errors:

DBIdentifier of DataVolume (....) and LogArea (....) does not match

Log- and data area are not compatible because 'The DB Identifiers are not equal'.

Under (....) the name of the host where the DB originally was stand and then my servers name. So I guess I have to change the host address in the DB backup file so it matches my servers. But how? Any clue?

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Ok I found something in DB Manager under Database errors:

> DBIdentifier of DataVolume (....) and LogArea (....) does not match

> Log- and data area are not compatible because 'The DB Identifiers are not equal'.

>

> Under (....) the name of the host where the DB originally was stand and then my servers name. So I guess I have to change the host address in the DB backup file so it matches my servers. But how? Any clue?

Nearly there.

The problem is not the hostname in the backup file.

The hostname is just one part of the DBIdentifier.

It is used to make sure that the Dataarea and the Logarea actually belong together.

I assume you just re-used the instance and that you performed a "recovery" but not a "recovery with initialisation".

The later one will take care about deleting the logarea before starting the database up - that is the step missing here.

Just repeat the recovery (this time with "initialisation") and you'll be fine.

Cheers,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, now I always get error messages about user and password combinations when trying to connect with SQL Studio.

Thing is I really dont know if the info about user and password are correct. Since I get errors I assume they are wrong.

So is there any way to reset this kind of stuff?

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi John,

this depends on what password you know.

If you know the correct logon data for the SYSDBA user (usually called DBA or SUPERDBA), then you can alter each other users passwords.

If not - well then you're out of luck.

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, then to the other dump I have I have one question. There are many folders in which there is always a cfg, log, xml, data, catalog and export file. According to the XML this dump was created using a program called MaxDB Loader. Where can I get this (I have searched but did only get manuals as result)? And do you know how to use it to import those files?

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hmm... you don't have the passwords... sure you should see the data?

> Ok, then to the other dump I have I have one question. There are many folders in which there is always a cfg, log, xml, data, catalog and export file. According to the XML this dump was created using a program called MaxDB Loader. Where can I get this (I have searched but did only get manuals as result)? And do you know how to use it to import those files?

What's wrong with manuals when you want to learn how to do things?

The loader comes automatically when you install the full MaxDB database server.

In addition to that there's a frontend to the loader build into the DB Studio.

With that frontend you simply select the database you want to use, choose import from the context menu and point to the location where all those files are stored.

DB Studio will recognize the exported package and a dialog will guide you through the import process.

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

You mean DB Manager or DB Studio? In SQL Studio I only find the query stuff and in DB Manager I found nothing about import.

So what do you mean exactly?

PS: Thanks for your patience and help

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> You mean DB Manager or DB Studio? In SQL Studio I only find the query stuff and in DB Manager I found nothing about import.

> So what do you mean exactly?

I was writing about SAP MaxDB Database Studio.

The Java-Eclipse-Based tool that you can download in the download section here on SCN.

It actually combines DBM Gui and SQL Studio and adds up other features - like the export/import/transport function I mentioned - to it.

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, thanks. That was the thing I was missing.

Now I created a new DB with this program, right click on it, chose import and then the "sdb\loader\packages\export\" folder. There I pasted the dumbs I was talking about in that path: original servername\original db name (matches newly created DB name)\". There are now all those folders that have a date as name and in there are the following filetypes: cfg, xml, export, catalog, data, log. But in the import context menu (I chose Import Database and there package files and then gave the program the path to where I my dumbs are) when I choose next nothing gets displayed. Any remaining idea?

I know I am a big pain in the ass but I really try to read help but its to much for my very specific problem. So please help me again...

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> There are now all those folders that have a date as name and in there are the following filetypes: cfg, xml, export, catalog, data, log. But in the import context menu (I chose Import Database and there package files and then gave the program the path to where I my dumbs are) when I choose next nothing gets displayed. Any remaining idea?

Well, it's likely that the package you've got there isn't a database export, but a schema or user export package.

The easiest thing would be now to try out what of them it is, by just checking every import funktion.

Be aware that when you use the context menu entries on the database node in the tree view you will have to enter the target username/schema for the export files.

Say you do login as JOHN to your database and just use the default schema JOHN, you'd have to enter this.

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, I tried now every import option but it didnt work and there were never any DB exports listed. What also iritates me is that DB Studio always wants Data.data0000 files but I only have .data files.

So any remaining idea what I can do to get it imported or any blocker you can think of?

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> So any remaining idea what I can do to get it imported or any blocker you can think of?

It's a bit difficult to help you with this via the forum ...

Hmm.. would it be possible for you to provide the export files via a download link?

Then I could say more about what to do with them.

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hm, well I can give you one such folder which contains a cfg, xml, catalog, export and data file.

Can you give me your E-Mail address or any IM contact?

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I've something better than that: an upload container.

Zip all the files from the folder to one file and upload it via this link:

[https://sapmats-de.sap-ag.de/upload/index.cgi?id=ZLLWYFC7FABQC9BDRRR1XBAKOSC7VRX20AXMVNXYZ3Q5YWUJDJ]

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please give me some of your private contact details anyway. I dont want to share data public.

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The uploaded data will only be available to me - as I will have the download link for it.

Anyhow, my office email adress is in my profile...

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

I sent you an E-Mail on Friday? Did you receive it and did you have the time to take a look into it?

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi John,

I just send you the reply.

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

I sent you on Thursday another mail. Would be great to get a reply.

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I sent you on Thursday another mail. Would be great to get a reply.

So much to do, so little time...

I'll send you an answer this week - so hang on.

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, no deal. Thought I'd write it as a little reminder...