Embedding reports in a Web 2.0 app
I am evaluating BO/Crystal Reports family of products and SSRS in the process of deciding on a platform for our app's reporting needs. The app is a web facing web application with clients accessing it from IE, Firefox, Chrome on Windows and Mac (and in isolated cases Linux).
I have a few questions:
- Is it possible to return the report as XML(including metadata) and render it myself? Can I still rely on server side paging?
- Is there template support at runtime? I read about report templates but could not figure out if they were embedded in the report at design time or somehow referenced at run-time, so moving an item 10 pixels to the left won't force me to manually update 50 RDSLs of reports with identical layout. Are there any tools or best practices to support this need?
- Planning to embbed the report viewer in a RIA/Web 2.0 app through an IFRAME, are there any know issues with that ? (Popups, session cookies, ..)
- If sharing a report between multiple users what are the options for customizing presentation (color scheme, fonts)? Any tools/best practices?
- Any cross-browser limitations?
- Authentication: any pointers to how to integrate with custom (SaaS) authentication model?