cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applet Error

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

We have Migrated code from 11.5 to 12.0 but some times the applet's are not loading properly i am getting error like Error Loading Applet.if i run the page second time its working properly so what could be the problem ......Kindly help me out for fixing this issue.

Regards,

Shaan...

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

former_member192939
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Shaan..

I would check the following

. Any reference objects are missing

. Any links hardcoded, which refer to the the 11.5 server

. The BLT for invalid assignments

Regards,

Ajay.

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The null pointers you are gettings quite often come from attempting to reference applet methods like .getQueryObject or .getChartObject before they are ready for scripting.

Based upon your description of the problem in your initial forum post I would speculate that it's not 12.0 or the applets, but more than likely due to javascript on your page. For an applet to work inconsistently or sporadically it is typically due to timing issues that are outside the control attempts to man-handle the applets on a page with client-side script. An applet merely wants to query the server for knowledge of its underlying query and display templates, and when it has this information it runs the query and displays the results, so within a browser session where the client JRE has cached the knowledge of the QT and DT it just needs to request the data and display it.

Warning signs of this will be a body onLoad tag that reference an applet(s) or some sort of initialize function that attempts to force loading of the page in a particular order or progression (like would make more logical sense in server side programming). Initial page loading and timing issues will haunt pages developed like this, and the numerous variables involved on the client environment tend to make things difficult to troubleshoot with some of the apparent guesswork evidenced in this thread.

To test this simply isolate one of your single applets onto a single test page by itself and see if it consistently loads properly. If you have difficulties doing this because of too much script or dependencies between multiple applets, then you may be understanding the problem a little bit more than before.

Regards,

Jeremy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shaan,

Do publish by right click on your proj folder.

Regards,

Padma

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yaa i did the same

Former Member
0 Kudos

Few more suggestions you can check

NullPointerException can happen if you try to access a field or call a method on a reference which is set to null. So when assigning an object reference to a variable, be sure to check that it is not null.

specify the IP address of host rather than a hostname, some time failure to access a network resource could create an issue.

Are you facing this problem for all the Applets/ new development on 12.0 or just for migrated applets ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

When using Java applets in the development of web pages, the following problem arises: The loading of applets in the browser is completely random. This means that if more than one applet is used on the page it is not possible to recognize which applet has been completely loaded and which one is not yet completely loaded on the web page (body onload event of page is completely useless).

This behavior can lead to JavaScript errors, in particular during the interaction between several applets. For this reason it is important to control the loading behavior of applets on the web page.

So use the FirstUpdateEvent of every applet to run a JavaScript Function which will count if all applets are loaded then proceed either with a JavaScript Function of type "do something automatically if all applets are loaded" or ensure that JavaScript Functions can be xacuted that allow "user actions" from now on (means if not all applets loaded a user can't do anything on the page).

Hope that helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Shan,

Check for your Java Run Time Version..Restart Java Services

Thanks

Ramesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

ya even I faced this error. This is purely because of java console.Just clear the java console and the page loads properly.Any changes to the applet normally needs a java console refresh to reflect the changes!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

I guess applet is stored in a cache after it has been first loaded. This cache, apparently makes faster relaod !

Java caches applets and Webstart applications in a cache managed by the Java Plug-in.

Just check Java console and clear the cache & history of your browser. This would explain why it is only the first time that an applet gives error on load.

Ram Upadhyay

Former Member
0 Kudos

If this error is occuring on client machines, I would recommend clearing your Java Cache, also clear any internet temporary files.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have you checked any of the logs or the java console?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am getting error like java null pointer exception

former_member201407
Participant
0 Kudos

Did u check the Applet Codebase after migration from 11.5 to 12.0?

it must be CODEBASE="/XMII/Classes"

Which type of Applet (Display Template Type) are u using? is this case for all applets or just a particular applet?

Regards

Som

Former Member
0 Kudos

Som,

I changed CODEBASE also But Still its not working...I am using SPC Chart