cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Handling of ValidFrom//ValidFrom Dates in InfoCube

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We are designing a master data InfoCube for Human Resources demographic data. The data from each applicable InfoType is loaded into an ODS and then updated to the target InfoCube. Our question/concern is regarding how to handle the ValidFrom/ValidTo date InfoObjects in order to ensure that the date assignments are being handled correctly. In traditional data warehousing, the ValidFrom/ValidTo dates would be placed in the fact table with SIDs handling the proper reference to each dimension record. Since we cannot add the ValidFrom/ValidTo InfoObjects to either the Time or Key Figure dimensions in BW, my thought is to create a separate "Validity" dimension for them.

Can anyone share thoughts on how to handle this situation?

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Sonya

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

edwin_harpino
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi Sonya,

no need to create separate dimension, system will take care of it, also there will be no valid from and valid to in fact table.

later in reporting you will have to specify 'key date', there is default key date refer to current date.

hope this helps.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Sonya,

One way to handle ValidFrom/To dates is to create a Hierarchy for the InfoObjects that you need to handle.

There is quite a bit of functionality available in handling Hierarchy nodes that are time dependent....which you can leverage...

Woudl it work for the data that you are handling ?

If you can give an example of your InfoObjects and their time dependency....then I can propose a solution....

Good luck, BB

Former Member
0 Kudos

BB,

Each dimension that we are creating within the InfoCube is based on an InfoType in HR. Essentially, the data in each dimension has its own set of time-dependent data. We just want to make sure the validfrom/validto joins are being handled properly between the dimensions.

Let me know if you need more detailed info.

Thanks,

Sonya

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi friends could u pls explain virtual and non - virtual key figures and cumulative and non-cumulative key figures and when we use...pls let me have a business scenario(with example)..anyone ...pls...

k.s.vas

svk4bw@gmail.com

mmcnally
Explorer
0 Kudos

Sonya, I am now planning to do the same work as you did, but I first want to bring infotype data over to an ODS. Then, when you transfer the ODS 'Date from' and the 'Date to' fields, where do they go? do you place infoObjects '0datefrom' and '0dateto' in the target cube?

Edwin Harpino (above) states that the conversion from two dates to key date is automatic. My question is how, or what. did you do with 'Begda' and 'Engda' ?

Mike McNally