cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP backup/restore sequence

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

When backing up SAP DB via SAP BRtools, does BRtools give out a specific sequence in terms of files to be backed up to external backup tools? For instance, if backs up entire SAP DB in online mode, does BRtools give a specific order of files to external backint in terms of data, redo log, and control files?

Thanks a lot.

Jason Li

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The order of the files that are backed up (and restored in) may be able to be controlled through settings for the 3rd party backup tool.

For example, if you use Netbackup the parameter custom_sort_file can be set in the utl file to control the order in which files are backed up.

I would refer to the documentation of your 3rd party vendor to see if there are options available as this is likely to be vendor specific.

But would say in answer to your question "Can this order be altered freely by external backup tools?" the answer is yes.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

it tell you in logs of the backup in the order which files have been backed up

normally it starts with control files then data files and then redo logs

Rohit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rohit,

Can this order be altered freely by external backtup tools? Secondly, in the stage of restore, would BRtools dictate the same sequence order as backup stage?

Thanks a lot.

Jason

Former Member
0 Kudos

the sequence that I told you is followed by BRTOOLS

I am not sure what is the sequence followed by third party tools(it must be same though) but why do you want to change it,there is no need to change the backup sequence

while restoring the backup it will first asl for control files,then it will restore data files and then redo logs

Rohit