cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can we take full database backup and file systems through tar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Friends,

How to perform <b>full installation backup</b>, i.e. i want to perform <b>full offline backup</b> at the end of the installation.

Here i am not talking about DB13, i just want to take backup through tar utility on AIX.

1. for taking backup through tar utility what all different file systems do i have to consider like

/usr/sap/<SAPSID>

/usr/sap/trans

<sapmnt>/<SAPSID>

apart from above what other sap file systems should i take

2. I also want to take backup of Oracle file systems, what file systems of Oracle should be taken, so that i have complete database backup.

3. Suppose my DB13 is not working, so i would like to take entire database backup through tar, so does that mean tar backup would be as good as DB13 if i have taken backup of all Oracle File systems, and if i wish to restore the complete SAP system along with database through tar, would it be working ?

4. what is the home directory of user <sapsid>adm

your suggestions would be highly appreciated

Regards

Ayush

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ayush,

I am not wrong you want backup of system such a way that if system gets full crash you can up on another hardware also with this backup.

I do the following practise.

I have tar backup of full oracle after unmounting the SAPDATA files on one tape.

I have one Misciliouns backup contain home, usr and sapmnt.

I have sapdata backup using brbackup

I have restored new system on new hardwared using this 3 backup.

Regards,

Nitin Salunkhe

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

check [https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/ora?rid=/webcontent/uuid/1cc71b42-0d01-0010-7f91-f352b58078cf] [original link is broken];

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> 2. I also want to take backup of Oracle file systems, what file systems of Oracle should be taken, so that i have complete database backup.

If you do the backup on filesystem level you need to shutdown the system and the database.

> 3. Suppose my DB13 is not working, so i would like to take entire database backup through tar, so does that mean tar backup would be as good as DB13 if i have taken backup of all Oracle File systems, and if i wish to restore the complete SAP system along with database through tar, would it be working ?

yes - see above. The system must be shut down during the copy. Otherwise you will generate inconsistencies. That's why the database should be backed up using the database tools (brbackup, RMAN or any other third party backup tool).

> 4. what is the home directory of user <sapsid>adm

login as <sid>adm

enter

echo $HOME

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

In AIX using smitty you can take two backups that is sufficient to recover your whole system independt of SAP

smitty mksysb : for Systme backup i.e. OS related files etc

smitty savevg: Select DATAVG in it to take full backup of all data file systems in your server.

while restoration first restore mksysb and then savevg backup.

Regards,

Nitin Salunkhe.

Edited by: Nitin Salunkhe on Apr 27, 2009 11:11 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

i just want to know following things.. Back up is happening thru DB13 using BRTOOLs every day.

1)So does this back up including application file systems,DB scripts and all?

usr/sap/<SAPSID>

/usr/sap/trans

<sapmnt>/<SAPSID>

2)If system crashed can we up the system using this back up as we dont hav cluster?

O/s is AIX

DB is Oracle

Regards,

Sameer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Sameer,

1. backup through DB13, only would help in restoring SAP DATAFiles, Control Files, Online Redo logs, Offline Redo Logs.

So DB 13 doesnt take the backup of the file systems shown below

usr/sap/<SAPSID>

/usr/sap/trans

<sapmnt>/<SAPSID>

To backup above three file systems we use tar utility on Unix or folder level backups on Windows.

2. If your systems crashes:-

you only have DB13 backup, then you will never be able to up your SAP system, bcoz you dont have file system backup taken through tar & you also dont have ROOTVG backup.

so plan your strategy in such a way immediately after installation.

a. take file system backups of ( /usr/sap/<SAPSID>, /usr/sap/trans, <sapmnt>/<SAPSID>, /home/irdadm )

b. RootVG backup on AIX OS

c. DB13 backup (whole database + Redo log files)

Above strategy would give you foolproof SAP restoration.

Regards

Aayush