Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database Schema password should be change or not

former_member185031
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

I have a question related to Oracle. We are using different SAP components on Oracle 10g. We change the password of <sidadm> and <orasid> user frequently as per the policy. But now the question is should we change the password of Database Schema or not. I would like to know the complication technically that can be comes after changing the password. We have Abap+Java Stack so from abap side we can change the database schma password but from Java stack is there any other way to change the password schema user.

Need Your comment

Regards,

Subhash

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Subhash,

yes you can change the password frequently, but you have to think about 2 things.

ABAP

If you want to change the password of the oracle database user (= SAP schema), you can not change it through a SQL command, because of the password will be encrypted and stored in the SAPUSER table too. This password is read when SAP is starting and used to connect with the SAP schema user.

You have to use brconnect for changing the ABAP schema user password:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/EN/c6/f1901c7f31f3429028326b7fb7597e/content.htm

Java

You can change the password of the oracle database user (= JAVA schema) through an SQL command, but you have to enter the new password in the secure store too. There is no option to automatize this.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/de/cd/14c93ec2f7df6ae10000000a114084/content.htm

Regards

Stefan

former_member185031
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Stefan,

Thanks a lot for valuable response. So that means on ABAP stack we need to change only the password through BRCONNECT and for JAVA stack after changing the password from BRCONNECT we need to change the store the password on secure store too that is a liitle bix complex becuase our all the 60 servers are running on ABAP+JAVA stack both.

Well excpet this do we need to change the password anywhere else.

Regards,

Subhash

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Subhash,

> So that means on ABAP stack we need to change only the password through BRCONNECT

Yes, this is correct.

> for JAVA stack after changing the password from BRCONNECT we need to change the store the password on secure store too that is a liitle bix complex becuase our all the 60 servers are running on ABAP+JAVA stack both

Yes, this is correct too. But you don't have to change the password with BRCONNECT for the JAVA schema user, you can also do this with a SQL command interface (like SQL*Plus). The biggest problem is the manual interaction for changing the password in the secure store, after changing it in the database .. so you are also right that this is not workable for 60 servers or more..

>Well excpet this do we need to change the password anywhere else.

No, that's all.

Regards

Stefan

former_member185031
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Stefan,

Thanks again. Now i have one last query.

Can we use "special character" in password i guess on ABAP stack we can but on JAVA stack we cannot enter the "Special Character" During installation we didnot use any "Special Character" but now can we use, i dont know any Sap note related to the same.

Regards,

Subhash

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you cannot use the '@' sign because it will cause problem with OPS$ mechanism.

Answers (0)