cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy SAP system into a new one

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have been assigned the task of copying our production R/3 system into a new SAP system on the same machine. We have Oracle on AIX. Basically, the task is to create a new SAP system by setting up new filesystems according to the ones on the production system, and then basically restore the production database into the new system.

I know how to do the database restore part, but i have never done a system copy like this. So, if someone has experience with this please let me know the steps i need to do on the SAP side, before or after the restore.

Do i have to copy the SAP filesystems over to the new system and change something? Please suggest.

Thanks in advance

Cyrus

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prince,

Thanks for the info. I am copying the system into a new one on the same machine, so I will not have to set any environment variables. I have asked for all oracle filesystems- /oracle/SID, /oracle/SID/reorg, /oracle/SID/<oracle_version> and sapdata dir's to be created, and on the SAP side

-the /usr/SAP/SID and /sapmnt/SID.

Do i have to copy all the subdirectories and files from the old SAP filesystems to the new system before the restore?

Thanks

Cyrus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes .You have to create all the directories like your source system. Make sure that the enviornment variables of users like sap<TargetSID>,ora<TargetSID> are same as you source user ids ( sap<sourceSID> )

Thanks

Prince

PS: Please assign points if it helps you

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Great.

I will let you know how it goes.

Regards

Cyrus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Cyrus,

Do you have any documentation of this?

1.Can you please specify the locations where the SID and Hostname needs to be changed?

2.What files needs to be copied essentially for setting up /home/<SID>adm?

3.When copying /oracle/ directory contents, does the contents needs to be copied for /oracle/<SID>/origlogA, /oracle/<SID>/origlogB, /oracle/<SID>/MirrorlogA and

/oracle/<SID>/MirrorlogB?

I belive during DB restore these contents will be deleted as a step so just the creation of these will be fine. Please let me know

So this leaves the following oracle directories to be copied with its contents?

/oracle/<SID>

/oracle/<SID>/reorg

/oracle/<SID>/oracleversion

does the file structure creation be enough for /oracle/<SID>saparch since cntrl file and archive log files will copied from Source system?

Please let me know

Thanks,

Basis Learner

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Basis Learner,

It would be best to open a new thread with your questions, this will help avoid confusion and allow you to allocate points to later useful answers. You can reference this thread then also, if you feel it contains relevant information.

Regards, Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Cyrus,

You have to create the filesystem,environment variable files in target system same as source system.

Copy SAP and Oracle executables to Target system.

Copy .login ,.dbenv,.sapenv etc to tagrget and change the <sid>.

Add services entries in /etc/service file ( sapdpxx 32xx/00 etc).

modify the D* directory to end with new system number (e.g., DVEBMGS10 to DVEBMGS11 ).

Modify the startsap_all, stopsap_all, startsap_hostname_sys#, stopsap_hostname_sys# files so they properly identify <SID> and hostname of the Target system.

Add SID to “Master” listener.ora and tnsnames.ora Files

Then restore from the backup and do the post refresh activites. These are only a guide lines from my memory . its been really long since i did a system copy.

Thanks

Prince Jose