Did you mean: 

Migration / Upgrade Procedure

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I need to find the optimal procedure for the following migration tasks:

Source System: Windows 32bit, Oracle, 4.6C, Non-Unicode

Target System: Windows 64bit, MSSQL, ERP 6.0, Unicode

We also have new hardware, so it's possible to set up the new system landscape in parallel.

What are the possibilities? At the moment, I think this is the optimal procedure:

1. Install Windows 64bit on new hardware

2. Export R/3 DB

3. Install R/3 on MSSQL with the export files

4. Upgrade to ERP 6.0

5. Unicode conversion

What do you think?

Thanks for any ideas,

Pascal

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

debasissahoo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pascal,

The procedure looks fine. Please keep these points in mind.

- You would need to follow the heterogeneous system copy guide for migration. & this should be performed by a SAP certified migration consultant (mandatory to have support from SAP migration service)

- In a productive environment you must keep the source until your final migration is over successfully.

- Minimum of 6 weeks of gap between the OS/DB migration & the next upgrade planned. SAP suggests to have the system stable after migration and then only start the upgrade.

- Proper advance sizing of system which will be able to run ECC after you upgrade.

For Upgrade & unicode conversion you may opt for CU&UC, these notes/doc may help.

SAP Note 928729 Combined Upgrade & Unicode Conversion (CU&UC) FAQ

SAP Note 1139642 Hardware Requirements in Unicode Systems

SAP Note 551344 Unicode Conversion Documentation

SAP Note 548016 Conversion to Unicode

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/82c445c2-0d01-0010-4ab2-fc7e1a25...

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/1d5b8123-0a01-0010-90a7-f1c9622e...

Regards,

Debasis.

Edited by: Debasis Sahoo on Apr 22, 2009 1:48 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Debasis,

thanks for your answer and the good links.

The problem with the CU&UC option is that we would need an aditional WebAS system for the UC preparation...I think it's still possible to run ERP 6.0 non-Unicode and do the conversion after the upgrade, right? Of course it's one more export/import but we won't need to set up an additional system and transport everything there.

One more question: Is it possible to use the 4.6C installation master to install the MSSQL 64bit based system with the oracle 32bit export data? Because it's a long time ago I dealt with 4.6C I'm not sure if there's an option to point to the export files and not to install the SAP delivered dumps.

Regards,

Pascal

debasissahoo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pascal,

it's still possible to run ERP 6.0 non-Unicode and do the conversion after the upgrade

Yes, thats possible.

Is it possible to use the 4.6C installation master to install the MSSQL 64bit based system with the oracle 32bit export data?

yes, it should be possible, as export data is independent of OS/DB. but from /pam it looks like you need to check the kenel level. SAP KERNEL 4.6C is not supported on mssql. if you've 4.6D it looks ok.

Before starting the project I would strongly suggest you to confirm from SAP on OSS for the procedure.

https://websmp101.sap-ag.de/~form/handler?_APP=00200682500000001303&_EVENT=RELEASE&00200682500000002...

Regards,

Debasis.