cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle 9i backup onto Oracle 10g

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Is it possible to restore the SAP backup taken in Oracle 9.i onto the Oracle 10g.

If possbile, can anyone share the documents for the same?

Thanks in advance,

DVRK

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

> Is it possible to restore the SAP backup taken in Oracle 9.i onto the Oracle 10g.

> If possbile, can anyone share the documents for the same?

I see the words restore and onto, which is why I responded with my solutions. You could definitely be correct... English is a tricky language sometimes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rich,

You are right. First he have to create new 9i database using that backup and then upgrade it to 10g.

Thanks

Manoj

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> You are right. First he have to create new 9i database using that backup and then upgrade it to 10g.

see the note I mentioned - that step is not necessary.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

You are right, 9i data files can be copied over to target x86_64 windows machine and use the remote oracle upgrade script provided in the SAP note to upgrade the database to 10g. it does not require installing oracle 9i binaries on the target system.

not tested the same in Unix.

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

yes you can. basically, you restore, startup the DB in upgrade mode and upgrade the DB.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Install 9i DB on the second system. Import the DB using RMAN, export, or copy the DB files over, recover it, and give it a new dbid. Then upgrade the 9i DB to 10g.

Is that what you're looking for?

You won't be able to use 9i DBFs on a 10g DB. You need to go 9i -> 9i then upgrade your "new" DB to 10g.

OR

You can export your data from your 9i DB and import it into your 10g DB.

I'd go with the first option, imho..

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> You won't be able to use 9i DBFs on a 10g DB. You need to go 9i -> 9i then upgrade your "new" DB to 10g.

This is not true as stated. There is no difference in upgrading an installed 9.2 database (as shutdown, install 10.2 software and upgrade) and copying files over and doing the upgrade directly.

See (as written already)

Note 932722 - Upgrade to Oracle 10.2 during a database copy

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

It's 100% true as stated. You cannot use 9i database files on a 10g software installation.

It may not have been 100% clearly written

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> It's 100% true as state. You cannot use 9i database files on a 10g software installation.

He doesn't want to use them - he wants to UPGRADE the database.

Markus

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes - this is possible.

Note 932722 - Upgrade to Oracle 10.2 during a database copy

That note is for Windows, you can adapt it for *nix systems, working the same way.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

No, you have to upgrade existing installation to 10g. Please find some more info when you decide to upgrade from 9 to 10g.

[http://csc-studentweb.lr.edu/swp/Berg/Conferences/SAP_NW2008_and_Admin_2008/ADMIN/Track2/Track2_session8.pdf]

Former Member
0 Kudos

No