cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to report Search Statistics from TREX

Former Member
0 Kudos

Our business unit has requirements for index search reporting from TREX and I have been unable to find a way to accomplish this.

Specifically, they need:

Report #1 - Create a report by date range that displays what words or phrases were searched on, in descending order.

Report #2 - Create a report by date range that displays words or phrases that were searched on where No results where found.

Report #3 - Create a report by date range that displays words or phrases that were found but the user did not click on the page (abandoned search).

I have been told that to produce such a report will require in-house development effort and that we would have to up the logging level of the trace files to obtain the required data. I have raised the logging level to "3" using TREX admin, and the verbosity of the tracefiles has increased, but I see no data that would be useful in providing the necessary statistics.

Does anyone have any information that might help?

Thanks

- Paul

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member195891
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

Note 937055 Analysis search requests using python script describes a solution based on a Python script for analysing the search queryies.

The source code of the script explaines the approach on TREX level. However, for Report #3, additionally user information is necessary which is not available on TREX level.

Kind regards,

Roland

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roland

According to the note you mention, it should not be a prerequisite to raise the logging level on the TREX in order to use this script. Do you know if this is correct?

If I start the logging, perform a few searches, stop the logging and then run "...analyze=1", I get an error like "No trace file to analyze found c:\usr\sap\<SERVERNAME>\trace\servertrace.py".

We are running SPS17 and I ought to mention that we have only one index server running, but that should not stop me from testing the setup, should it? According to the documentation, running the analyze-script just might crash the TREX, not stop it from writing to the log?

Anyone got experience with this issue?

Regards,

Martin

former_member217429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Martin,

the script was provided for TREX 6.1. I suppose you are on the TREX 7.0 now and traces are located in the different place. If you run this version please start script to analyze the python log as:

python topXSearchRequests.py --topX=100 --analyze=1 --fileName="c:\usr\sap\<INST>\<SID>\<hostname>\trace\servertrace.py

Best regards,

Mikhail

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mikhail

Thank you very much for your answer, I really appreciate it.

The TREX version, we are running, is 6.1.28, and I don't know if the path has changed for this version as well. But I will check it next time, I'm on customer site, thank you very much!

A side question: Is it just at matter of me finding the servertrace.py file and "linking" to that when running the script? Because I'm quite sure that file is there somewhere.

Best regards,

Martin Søgaard

Former Member
0 Kudos

This does not seem to work on our TREX install (we still can't find the traces). Does this indeed work on 7.0?

Answers (0)