cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

err -24987 "Packet size too small for answer" / how to remove media

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi group,

after adding the 146th media I got the error "-24987: Packet size too small for answer". I removed a few old media by

/opt/sdb/programs/bin> ./dbmcli -d nameOfMyDb -u dbm,dbm

---> medium_delete nameOfMyMedium

---> quit

and the error disappeared and I could successfully add a further medium.

It seems as if wildcards such as in "medium_delete backup_2008*" are not allowed. Does there exist another way to delete several media at once. A possibility to delete all media would help as well.

Thanx in advance, kind regards

Michael

Version: MaxDB 7.5.0.26

Edited by: Michael Poetzsch on Apr 22, 2009 8:07 AM

Edited by: Michael Poetzsch on Apr 22, 2009 8:07 AM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> after adding the 146th media I got the error "-24987: Packet size too small for answer". I removed a few old media by

>

> /opt/sdb/programs/bin> ./dbmcli -d nameOfMyDb -u dbm,dbm

> ---> medium_delete nameOfMyMedium

> ---> quit

>

> and the error disappeared and I could successfully add a further medium.

Ok, you're talking about BACKUP media here.

And you've more than 140 of them...

Are you sure you grasped the concept of backup medias correctly?

Usually there is no need whatsoever to have that many backup medias.

> It seems as if wildcards such as in "medium_delete backup_2008*" are not allowed. Does there exist another way to delete several media at once. A possibility to delete all media would help as well.

Well, you may manipulate the DBM.MMM file directly if you like, but that doesn't solve your problem here.

If I understand you right, you've got a single backup medium for each date on which you take a backup.

Sorry, but that's nonsense, and the dbm command set does not hold special features for that.

If you take backups to the file system you are supposed to move them away from there afterwards.

To a safe place that will still be available when your server/office is burned down.

Like a tape or a set of DVDs you take to your safe storage location.

All you need for that is one backup medium definition for each backup type you use.

Therefore, if you take complete data backups and log backups you'll need to backup mediums.

That's it.

On recovery time, you will get the backup file from the safe place back, place it to the original location or create a new medium for recovery that points to the new location.

That's it. Straightforward simple.

> Version: MaxDB 7.5.0.26

Wow, that's nearly prehistoric...

You may definitively get a current version of the software, upgrade your database and review the way you're doing backups.

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

anyway, does there exist a way to delete several media at once?

A possibility to delete all media would help as well.

Michael

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> anyway, does there exist a way to delete several media at once?

There's no command for this, no.

> A possibility to delete all media would help as well.

Empty the dbm.mmm file in the rundirectory of your database and all your media definitions are gone.

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks.

Kind regards, Michael