cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use Work Status to enhance security???

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all:

I researched many work status threads but am still a bit confused... Can someone please clarify my questions:

1. From my understand, the "Work Status" under Admin\Application folder controls whether submission or data package or journal entry is available (or locked). Is this correct?

2. Each Application's "Work Status Settings" is where I get really confused. What does Work State (Yes, No) do? What does "Member Validation" do? Can someone provide a simple example on how to assign the right Work State to the dimensions?

3. Is it possible to only open certain Category for data inputting? For instance, we have two budget cycles, 1st half and 2nd half of a year. As we proceed to 2nd half budgeting, can I lock the Category that represents the first half so my users can only write to 2nd half category but not first half? If so, how is this implemented?

Thank you so much! Have a great day!

Sincerely,

Brian

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Let me give this a try:

1. The work status at the application set layer in admin console sets the various sets the work states for the work status process. So, if you want more than what is provided, you may add additional check layers to the process, and impact the 6 functional areas by selecting the controlling feature or person to the process.

2. The work status settings, if enabled via the Admin Web console, control the activities; The dimension that has the Owner property and the other dimensions that are used for the status lock. The validation is a process that must be enabled. Here is where you can build a validation account and have the total add to zero in order to pass the validation at the intersection of the selected members for the work status. So if I have a validation account, and a check account as a child of validation, that looks for the net f zero for a BS, the Work Status cannot be locked until the balance is zero and passes validation.

3. For this exact process, the answer is NOPE. The best method is to have each pass of the budget or forcast, once completed, moved and locked in a category managed by security. That way, you always have a locked exact copy of the last iteration of the process. And it simplifies the template development to focus on 1 category as the main entry point for data. So if you finish a budgeta in catgeory Budget, lock the category; copy the results to another catgeory called , Budget1sthalf, then open the budget back up for the second pass. Dont worry so much about the 1st 6 months values, because you can place a process into effect at the customer to copy the LOCKED version of 6 months over to the INPROCESS version to keep the totality of the budget correct. This is in addition to locking the 6 months via formatting in EVDRE.

Hope this helps.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Brian

I have the exact same problem that you had. I also have a budget cycle for which I want to lock the first 4 months and the users can only write in the other 8 months.

How did you manage to implement this?

Dear Petar,

How can I lock the 4 months via formatting in EVDRE, like you suggest?

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thank you very much!

Kind Regards,

Helena Coelho

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You could use EVDRE format range to lock cells for 1st more months. For example, you could add a property called "Lock" and enter "Y" for 1st 4 month values.

In the EVDRE range define Criteria as TIME.LOCK="Y", and using Excel formating lock the "USE" cell in the same row and apply it to Data cells.

Regards,

Kranthi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Helena:

We found a work around by creating a hierachcy in the Category Dimension, and assign different users to different hierarchy levels of R/W access. When we want to lock/unlock a specific category, we just need to move the member from one hierarchy level to another, and update the member sheet to apply the change. In this case, nothing needs to be done at the Member Access Profile setting.

For instance, in Category Dimension, we have hierarchy

READ

-- Cost_Center_Group_Write

-

Cost_Center_BU_Write

-

BUDGET2

ACTUAL

BUDGET

BUDGET1

TEST

Data

READ, Cost_Center_Group_Write, and Cost_Center_BU_Write are parent nodes

ACTUAL, BUDGET, BUDGET1, BUDGET2, and TEST are Category (Dimension Member)

Cost_Center_Group_Write is the hierarchy level that is only assigned to Cost Center Group Managers

Cost_Center_BU_Write is the hierarchy level that is only assigned to Cost Center Business Unit Personnel

BUDGET2 is the current active category that users are working on

We assign "R" to READ for all users' member access profiles so everyone can read all the categories.

A example would be to give the budgeting task to individual Business Unit Personnel to complete the expense budget for the Category BUDGET2. After BU completes it, we re-assign BUDGET2 to be under Cost_Center_Group_Write (by modifying the hierarchy PARENTH1 in Category Dimension). When we apply such change, BUDGET2 is moved under Cost_Center_Group_Write. The users with Cost_Center_BU_Write "W" access in their member access profile can no longer write BUDGET2 category anymore. Now only the users assigned with Cost_Center_Group_Write have "W" access.

Hope this helps...

Sincerely,

Brian

Edited by: Brian Hsu on Jun 15, 2009 7:18 PM