Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

limit background process scheduling in SE38

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello,

i am trying to limit users from entering period values in se38 through background process scheduling. i would only like them to be able to enter a background job for immediately and not schedule a job for daily, weekly, etc. is there anyway to do this quickly?

thank you,

12 REPLIES 12

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I don't understand why regular users have access to SE38 to start with...

This thread will have better answers in the Security Forum

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

If it is related to background job scheduling provide sm37 donu2019t provide sm36

If it is related to se38

Restrict this through this object S_PROGRAM

BTCSUBMIT Schedule programs for background processing (Remove this activity)

SUBMIT Execute ABAP program

VARIANT Maintain variants and execute ABAP program (if u donu2019t want to user variant remove this)

But in production better to avoid providing se38 if necessary u can provide sa38 with out debug authorization

If it is related to background job scheduling provide sm37 donu2019t provide sm36

If it is related to se38

Restrict this through this object S_PROGRAM

BTCSUBMIT Schedule programs for background processing (Remove this activity)

SUBMIT Execute ABAP program

VARIANT Maintain variants and execute ABAP program (if u donu2019t want to user variant remove this)

But in production better to avoid providing se38 if necessary u can provide sa38 with out debug authorization

0 Kudos

Did you copy & paste this twice from somewhere else? It does not address the question either...

Cheers,

Julius

Edited by: Julius Bussche on Apr 22, 2009 12:16 PM

Did you copy & paste this twice from somewhere else? It does not address the question either...

Cheers,

Julius

Edited by: Julius Bussche on Apr 22, 2009 12:16 PM

0 Kudos

hello,

i have removed the BRCSUBMIT from the S_PROGRAM but you can still access the periodic screen, they should NOT be able to create a job that uses the period values, example: daily, weekly, etc. i want them to be able to create a background job but only a one time job!

thank you,

dolores

0 Kudos

You will have a pain preventing users from scheduling things according to that which they are authorized to do, but at a time which they are allowed to determine.

Important is that they cannot switch the program, and that before "disabling" a user who's person leaves the building you should check for scheduled jobs which are in the future.

Can you explain your concern and requirement in more detail?

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

If the user can release the job (S_BTCH_JOB action RELE) then they can determine when it is released.

If your concern is that the switch the program, then rather grant them access to transaction SMX to display the job only.

If you want them to create jobs but not access the conditions, then take a look at [SAP note 568963|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/568963]

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello,

we want to let users create a one time job in production but not schedule it on a daily, weekly, etc basis. so users need to create a job maybe once in a while and instead of having basis do it for them, they can run it one time. if we find that the are creating a job every day or week then basis will step in and create a batch job for them. we are trying to control the number of batch jobs running in our PRD system and who creates them. we currently have 4700 batch jobs running daily.

thank you,

dolores

0 Kudos

Hi,

I think you can create a transaction variant to SM36 and make the option of " periodic" as invisible.

But note that all the users using SM36 will be affected by this.

Thx,

DVRK

0 Kudos

hello,

this sounds like something that might be doable. i'm not concerned with everyone having the same for sm36, i can always create a new role and give full authorizations to a limited few who would need it. can you please tell me the steps involved in doing this?

thank you,

dolroes

0 Kudos

Have you tried the wizard feature in the SAP note which I mentioned?

0 Kudos

yes and user are still able to access the periodic value screen.

0 Kudos

I tested this a few months back on a 7.00 system and it did not work either.

I suspected that it was because the technical settings of the table BTCOPTIONS were delivered incomplete (see SE13) and checked with SAP at the time whether this was only activated for special customer requests. If I remember correctly the keys to read the table were missing.

But the requirement disolved itself, so I have not checked since. Restricting S_BTCH_JOB and organizational procedures for deactivating ID's were used.

Perhaps you want to open a customer message with SAP to ask why the solution in the note does not work after having implemented the settings?

Cheers,

Julius