cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material Master Achive Risks

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am investigating archiving the material master in R/3. I am concerned about the risks associated with removing a material number that has had some historical activity such as purchase orders, sales orders, shipments, and deliveries.

Can someone provide some expertise or experience on the impacts and risks in this scenario once the materials are removed? I am particularly concerned with what happens with regard to reporting, such as SIS structures, BW cubes, profitabililty, etc.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you, and I did find the SAP note for the condition records.

I am still looking for additional knowledge on the risks or issues to look out for after the material has been archived. What are the impacts and risks with SIS, BW, COPA, and other historical reporting sources?

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

can you describe what fears you have, maybe then I can check in my system and give a valid answer (as I have already archived thousands of materials and have a new test run tomorrow)

Former Member
0 Kudos

A few specific concerns that come to mind are:

(1) What will happen to the SIS structures that contain historical data for an archived material (example: material movements, shipments, receipts). Will they still be in the structure? What if I am also capturing other material master data in that structure, such as MRP controller or Product Hierarchy?

(2) What about profitability? If I am drilling down to material number or by product hierarchy, will I now have missing data?

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As the information data is stored in extra tables, you can still run the analysis.

However, there are limitations.

You cannot search for e.g. material 1000 by náme , as the material is already archived. If you want the analysis for material 1000 then you have to enter the material number directly.

Or you run the analysis without entering any material number and you will find the material 1000 among others in the list.

You will not see a material description in the analysis, as this information is usually taken from material master MAKT table at runtime of your analysis.

If you capture other data like MRP controller in the infostructure, then this data is still available after archiving of material master, and the description of the controller is still found in the customizing tables.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You cannot archive material masters if you still have POs and/or other dependend data in your system. SAP will issue errors for about 100 different problem cases. You have to archive those objects first.

I know one real issue which is with own condition tables (almost all condition tables are custom tables as you define the access yourself) used for pricing or message determination.

SAP does not check the usage of materials in these tables. So it will archive the material, but the condition is still in the system, you will not see anymore a description to this material number.

And even worse, you have obsolete conditions in your system

But SAP has issued an OSS note how to get rit of such conditions.