cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

installation Oracle 11g with 10.2 g

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All

I have installed ECC 6.0 SR3 with DB oracle 10.2g on production server.

Now i want to install oracle 11G on the same server , because i have an other software for textile which only support 11g.

Plz tell me how can install 11g with running SAP PRD server.

Best Regard

Imran Khan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Plz tell me how can install 11g with running SAP PRD server.

Ahem, simply to a seperate Oracle Home perhabs?

I propose you go and try this on your test machines first, before killing your production server accidentally.

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK thanks

U mean this is possible that i can install 11g with 10.2g, plz also tell me if anything different during installation

Regard

Khan

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

simple, when installing, choose another directory for your Oracle home. And, as Lars recommended, test this out on a non-prod server first.

Former Member
0 Kudos

...and don't use the same oracle user!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi.. all

i have install SAP on a seprate system with oracle 10.2g, now start installtion Oracle 11g with diff SID and Oracle home directory

thanks again

Best regard

Khan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi..

i have install oracle 11g on my SAP system with oracle 10.2, on a diff partition which i dedicate for Oracle 11g.

i install oracle 11g without creating DB, now i am creating database through database configuration assistant , at the end of creating DB it generate error,

"Enterprise manager configuration failed listener is not up, start listener and run EM configuration Assistant again"

when i go to add listener in Oracle Net manager, It open Oracle Net manager ... \usr\sap\prd\sys\profil\oracle

plz tell me how i create TNS for oracle 11g

regard

Khan

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

choose an unused port number such as 1525 in your tnsnames.ora and listener.ora files.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Eric Brunelle

ok i have choose an other port in tnsnames.ora and listener.ora files.

Now oracle 11g is working , by doing this also i have change environment Variable Oracle_Home and Oracle_SID

according to 11g.

but by doing this oracle 10.2g is not working that SAP is not working. i want both on the same PC in working order.

Best Regard

Khan

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

have you setup TNS_ADMIN environment variable? if so, check tnsnames.ora file in it. if this is a global parameter, it must contain both SID.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi... Eric

i have already setup TNS_ADMIN environment variable, and also in tnsnames.ora file contain both SID

Regard

Khan

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

with [sid]adm, type this command and provide contents of resulting trans.log file:

R3trans -d

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi........

Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]

(C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>R3trans -d

This is R3trans version 6.14 (release 700 - 16.10.08 - 16:26:00).

unicode enabled version

R3trans finished (0000).

Regard

Khan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Since I'm offering some technical advise I'll offer a personal opinion -- I strongly urge you to listen to Fidel Vales' advice and not install both 10g and 11g on your SAP DB, especially if you're going to be using this 11g database for non-SAP related work.

That said..

Use the 11g Oracle Net software to run the 11g and 10g database listeners.

You don't run multiple versions of the software, you have one listener listening on two different ports and each port is pointed to it's specific database.

Check the 11g documentation for how to support multiple DBs with one listener.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks All

Problem has been resolved , there was problem with listner.

Both Oracle are working perfectly with both SAP and NON-SAP software , i have configure listner one for 11g on port 1521 and another for 10g on port 1527, also configure listner.ora file.

thanks again

Best regard

Khan

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member187565
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Imran,

Look as per my knowledge oracle 11g rel1 is not a supported one for SAP.But somehow oracle 11g rel 2 is a supported one.There are so many advantages & good features in oracle 11 rel 2 which helps the SAP system as well.

Contact with SAP regarding this matter that whether you are able to change your database fron 10.2 to 11g rel2 or not.

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SAP is not supporting Oracle 11g yet. it will eventually support 11g rel 2, but now now.

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

Oracle still has not release 11g R2.

I'm curious about the

> "many advantages & good features in oracle 11 rel 2 which helps the SAP system as well"

The OP mentioned that he needs 11g for another software. SAP does not recommend to share the DB server with other "software" but it is possible. As mentioned by Lars, Eric, mho (Michael I think) you only have to install it in a different ORACLE_HOME with an "oracle" user that should not be "ora<sid>" and with a different ORACLE_SID.

You could check the installation documentation. You can choose the guide for your Operating system from [here|http://www.oracle.com/pls/db111/portal.portal_db?selected=11&frame=]

former_member187565
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

@Eric

> SAP is not supporting Oracle 11g yet. it will eventually support 11g rel 2, but now now.

yes i am agree with you.But i also write the same

@ Fidel

Oracle database Release 11g is currently being tested by SAP.As with previous certifications, SAP will certify Oracle database 11g Release 2 with their products. There are features of Oracle 11g which will greatly benefit SAP customers. Below you find a list of features which are currently planned by SAP to be used once 11g gets certified by SAP or shortly thereafter:

u2022 Secure Files

Secure Files implement a new architecture for storing unstructured data and will replace the LOB

datatypes of previous database versions. Secure Files deliver improved performance and scalability over

LOBs and offers reduplicaton functionality to save disk space.

u2022 Optimizer Enhancements and Statistics Maintenance

The 11g Optimizer provides performance enhancements for complex SAP BI queries and aftterrecognizes value changes in R /3 sql statements.Statistics maintenance especially for partitioned

objects is improved and calculation of statisticsis more accurate and faster compared to previous

database versions.

u2022 Automatic Interval Partitioning

Maintenance of partitioned objects is now fully automatic as the database server will manage partitions

on the fly.

u2022 OLTP Table Compression

As part of the Advanced Compressed Option table, data may be compressed reducing disk space and

improving query performance. In combination with index key compression and Secure File compression

every type of data in the Oracle database can be stored in a compressed way.

u2022 Secure File Compression

In addition to relational table data, unstructured data may also be compressed in the Oracle database.

Secure File compression is part of the Advanced Compression Option. Oracle 11g is the only database which is able to compress every type of data used by SAP named tables, indexes and unstructured data stored in Secure Files.

u2022 Online Patching

This unique and patented technology of Oracle allows single and bundle patches to be applied while the database is running reducing downtimes dramatically. Online Patching is available for Single Instance and RAC installations, even with shared Oracle Homes required by SAP.

u2022 Dictionary Only Add Column

Within the SAP application new columns may have to be added. Prior to 11g, an add column activity

would rquire significant and time intensive update statements to be generated for each row of the table.

With Oracle 11g this is not the case anymore.The data for the new column is only populated if

the row is accessed by the application. So any add column from the SAP application will be executed

within seconds and not minutes or hours that are required prior to Oracle 11g.

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Neo,

I was only "teasing" you a little (for that reason I put the smiley). I hope there are not bad feelings.

Thank you very much for the information, very complete and detailed. We still have to wait a little for them

I will only add the link to the "[SAP on Oracle Development Update|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/a07754d4-edd4-2910-0683-c9473aaeca51]" where is mention also the support for ASM.