Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dev_W** trace files

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

we have totally 8 app servers and 1 CI.

We can get the trace files in ST11.

But can any 1 please let me know how to find out a trace file say Dev_w46 belongs to particular App server.

Or is that all app servers work process number say 46 will be written to trace will Dev_w46.

please suggest.

Regards,

Ravi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

all app servers work process number say 46 will be written to trace will Dev_w46

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for information.

Are there any links other then help section which can provide how to work with these Trace files.

How to check for different errors from different trace files.

Also what does activating Trace means.

Is that only if trace in ST05 is made active only then these trace files are written or what????

Bcoz what i am seeing in our SolMan system in ST05 is

All Traces are Switched Off - Progress Display On

As mentioned above its saying "All traces are switched off" then how can we see the trace files Dev_w** in st11???

please share the information

Regards,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ravi,

The information that is logged in dev_w* files and in ST11 is entirely different

in dev_w* files you can find system errors that occur but in ST05-you can find the trace for user activity

the trace in ST05 is usually off and in switched on only when required or you need to trace out what a particular user is doing etc....,usually it consumes a lot of sapce on OS level and causes performance issues,so it is advisable to switch this trace off

in dev_w* daily issues with SAP system are logged,you dont need to anaylze them daily,I would only see then when something unusual is haapening in my SAP system,or my system goes down and I need to look why it went down,then this will be the first place I would look

refer to http://www.saptechies.com/check-user-activity-trace-st05/ fro ST05

Rohit

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

all app servers work process number say 46 will be written to trace will Dev_w46

I disagree with that.... All instances have their own work directory... each work process will write to its own log... so if you have more than one WP 46 you should have a dev_w46 in each application server.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi

1.Developer traces dev_ * are written to files in the directory /usr/sap/<SID>/<instance

directory>/work of the SAP application server that generated the trace.

2.In accordance to these letters lines that contain error information begin with *** ERROR =>. Lines for which system log entries are written start with *** LOG <message ID>. An "error line" contains the name of the calling function, the operation that failed, the error number from the host system (if a system call is involved), and the name of and line in the C module that failed. Use this information to search relevant SAP note or further analysis etc.

3.Each line in the trace files starts with the component abbreviation. This is the letter that identifies the trace component that you want trace, decide according to problems/requirements of your system, refer: http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/EN/be/470dc21ca4447b828597f614aaaec1/content.htm

4.Setting the trace parameter in the instance profile of a particular server activates developer traces only in that server. Setting the parameter in the default profile would activate traces in all servers (excepting those whose instance profiles specify a different parameter value). so it's matter of system configuration to be done by administrator, for details refer: http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/EN/be/3723f3d41b41a9bc2ec54d03618948/content.htm

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

To get the dev_w* trace files of each Application servers from ST11, just double click on the required application server from SM51. Then it will show SM50 screen of the corresponding Application server selected. From there just enter the tcode /nst11 and it will display you the trace files of the selected Application server.

Each application servers may be in different host and hence will have seperate filesystem each to store the work process trace files of the application server seperately. Hope this clarifies your query,

Regards,

Karthick.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Work procesess belongs to the application servers. There is possibility that number of work processes on each application server and CI may be different. If you open the trace files and profiles you will see all the details.