cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long System Id's. (LongSid) and the SLD, system landscape directory.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Currently we do not link the SLD into our Solution Manager system, but we intend to start to use it.

The 5 letter LongSid is is our standard so we can easily determine systems. So DEVAC is the Development system of Acme Corporation for instance.

How tdo we ensure that when systems are populated in the SLD they will carry forward a 5 letter long SID for the definition of the system in SMSY when the initial system definition load takes place?

OR, in order to do this, will I have to perform a Reactive process, and if I do this, will SLD only use the newly defined 5 letter SID recreated during the reactive processing during the next refresh?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

My feeling is the Long SID feature is merely a customisable free text box which has no technical value as all SIDs are 3 letter as defined by the sapinst routine. It is however helpful to you in order to categorise your Solution Landscapes which reside on different customer sites.

I also believe that despite being able to add more than 3 characters to the SID in Solution Manager problems may occur if that data has to interact on a technical level (RFC, database , EWA etc).

The LANDSCAPE FETCH job is a different scenario as the information is retrieved from the TMS or SLD. There could be synchronization issues which could be related to RFC or the LANDSCAPE FETCH job coding.

When you maintain a solution landscape in the SAP Solution Manager, the system displays system names in their full length. Although only the three-character system ID should be displayed. System names for ABAP-based systems can have six characters as a maximum. The first three characters should correspond to the three-character system ID. The remaining three characters can be used in order to make the system name unique. This is necessary if the system landscape contains several systems with the same system ID. Such suffixes should not be displayed when you maintain the solution landscapes.

The first three characters of the system name should be saved in the LSYSTEMNAME field in the corresponding database table of the system landscape definition in the SAP Solution Manager. Due to a program error, the complete name is saved here. The value defined in this field is displayed when maintaining the solution landscapes.

The necessary program correction is made available with Support Package 4 for the SAP Solution Manager 3.1. The correction has the effect that the system name, reduced to three characters, is saved in field LSYSTEMNAME. So that the LSYSTEMNAME field is filled correctly, systems in which this field contains more than three characters have to be saved again in the system landscape maintenance in the SAP Solution Manager.