Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Idoc independent of Sender/receiver and Direction ??

former_member195698
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you please explain what is meant by the following statements?

a) Idoc is independent of sending and receiving system

b) Idoc is independent of direction of data exchange (Outbound and Inbound)

Regards,

Abhishek Jolly

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think you mean IDoc type and not IDoc.

Idoc type is simply defining the structure ( data segments and fields ) and hierarchy of the data that it will hold at runtime. It is therefore independent of Sender/Receiver and Direction.

Example :

In case of IDoc type ORDERS05, this can be used for creating a message type ORDERS and ORDCHG both for inbound and outbound directions and it doesn't matter who is sending or receiving the data, the format will always be the same.

IDoc, on the other hand is an instance of an Idoc type and message type and it is something that contains a control record and data record and status record and it is important to know where it is coming from or going to.

regards,

Advait

6 REPLIES 6

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jolly,

1) Idoc is Not independent of sending and receving system..because we are specifying the Partner 

profile in that we are mentionin that to whom dta need to send and which message type and process 

code need to triggered..

2.and second Idoc is Dependent on Direction of Data exchange.. if you are pushing the direction is 1..

if you are receing end the direction is 2..

in we57 the idoc type & message type and FM and direction is mentioned..

so when data is receving we know the direction and message type and partner and port so according to that the FM module and Process code is triggereed.

Regards,

Prabhudas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think you mean IDoc type and not IDoc.

Idoc type is simply defining the structure ( data segments and fields ) and hierarchy of the data that it will hold at runtime. It is therefore independent of Sender/Receiver and Direction.

Example :

In case of IDoc type ORDERS05, this can be used for creating a message type ORDERS and ORDCHG both for inbound and outbound directions and it doesn't matter who is sending or receiving the data, the format will always be the same.

IDoc, on the other hand is an instance of an Idoc type and message type and it is something that contains a control record and data record and status record and it is important to know where it is coming from or going to.

regards,

Advait

0 Kudos

I am asking this question based on the no of threads/sites which say

"idoc is independent of sending / receiving system"

"idoc is independent of direction"

I just did a search on google with

"Idoc independent of system" and it gave me this results.. now even I am confused.

Regards,

Abhishek

0 Kudos

Hi ,

IDoc type (we30) is a structure it is independent..

IDoc ( is called Inbound and Outbound) it has direction uses Idoc type to send data it is Dependent..

0 Kudos

Hi Abhishek,

I can understand why you are confused, I googled the same words as you did and found some links too :

example :

[http://www.sapmaterial.com/idocbasicsunderstanding.html] and it has some inconsistencies.

example at one place it says

IDOC documentation:

Idoc documentation can be seen in the transaction WE60. go to transaction we60 and give some idoc , for example give

orders05

Clearly this is incorrect, if you goto transaction WE60, the frame title says " Documentation for IDoc type or segment type"

Further it says "Idoc is an instance of idoc type." which is correct.

Another site [http://www.slideshare.net/Naresh007/idoc-1089255] which is a powerpoint slide is utter nonsense.

The problem is that most of the times the term IDoc type is referred as IDoc and therefore it is bound to create confusion for the first time readers of this topic.

However, I didn't find any SAP help page which claims this statment and therefore the information given might not be 100% trusworthy.

The best place to start your search on any topic about SAP concepts is SAP's own documentation on [help.sap.com] which will have authentic information and will never mislead.

regards,

Advait

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Idoc type or Basic message type is independent of sender and receiver sysatems as well as direction. But idoc generated fully dependent of sender and receiver systens as well direction also.

Thanks,

Asit Purbey.