cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What timeout setting of RAS means?

kalpesh_pandey
Contributor
0 Kudos

We are using RAS server (BOXI R2 SP3 on windows with IIS) for Crystal report display. I would like to disconnect connections as soon as the report processing is complete. For this when I look into the idle timeout setting on server Tab then it says that its the setting which will wait for "x" mins before closing an idle connection. When I look into Administrator guide then it says that keeping this value too low will result in disconnecting users's request prematurely.

Now I am confused. If this setting says that idle connection will be closed then how come it will close active connections prematurely. Idle connection means its no more in use.

I would like to set this value to very low i.e. 1 min so that resources are freed up as soon as report is displayed and connection is idle.

Thanks,

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

My understanding is that the report when being viewed will be keep the connection open. If you set the idle time too low, then when the user is looking at the report, the connection can timeout and the user interactions will have to restablish the connection. This will result in poorer end user interaction

Hope this helps

Alan

kalpesh_pandey
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Alan for the reply. I think once report is completed and displayed to the end user then resetting connection does not have any impact. To test this I restart CMS ( we have 2) where one user running report was connected. This did not impact the opened report. When user clicked on save icon then a new connection was created. In our dev env. I changed this setting to 1 mins. Not sure if I can go below this as I would like to disconnect as soon as connection becomes idle. As very less no of users are connected to dev so not sure what would be the impact in production. And this is the reason looking for expert advice.

Vendor fixed the code so I don't need to do this now.

Thanks,