cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can we have portal roles with validity period?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am having a requirement wherein the client wants few iviews to be visible during specific period and and these iviews should not be visible after or before the specified period.

I can manually add or remove roles for users BUT is there any way to automate the process.

I thought of assigning validity periods to roles but could not find any area wherein i can specify dates....roles with validity are available in r3 but does anyone have idea about portal roles???

any inputs in this regards are highly appriciated.

Regards,

JJ.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member206159
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Check the below help link that may help you to some extent

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04s/helpdata/en/48/e8eb38f94cb138e10000000a114084/frameset.htm

raghu

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

pramod_gopisetty1
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi JJ,

As far as I understand, we cannot have a validity period for roles in Portal.

I assume you are using CUA (Central User Administration) for role assignment to users.

In that case as Raghavendra mentioned create the role in backend r3 system and this role is available as group in the Portal, to the group assign the Portal role which you want to assign to users.

Now do the role assignment from the CUA system with the validity of the role.

This is what we follow in our landscape, and it works fine.

Hope this helps.

Cheers-

Pramod

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Promod,

This is what exactly i was thinking to do...atleast i m inline with your solution...lemme try and get back if i face any issues...

BUT still i think there should be some way to specify validity to portal roles...if NOT what could be the reason??

Thanks & Regards,

JJ.

Former Member
0 Kudos

In general the portal wants user management done outside the portal. That is why it is recommended to have LDAP or ABAP as the UME source. It is also recommended to make use of groups to perform role assignment. This means that the best practice is to make use of user/group assignment in the UME source.

So, for ABAP as UME, you should make use of user/role date ranges and in LDAP make use of any underlying user lifetime capabilities.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thanks for all ur helpful replies, its working fine for me...

Still had one doubt:

If I have a portal role(A) assingned to a user and one another role (B) assigned within role A i.e. role A contains role B.

Now I want to control role B's validity period...but since its within role A , whatever validity period I give doesn't affect. Logical also it shouldn't affect because parent role A has been assigned to end user...

But is there any way out...I am asking this because if maintain role B separtely than I will have separate tab besides role A, but I want it as a separate workset in role A itself.

Any inputs highly appriciated.

Regards,

JJ.

Former Member
0 Kudos

My suggestion: don't put roles inside roles. I don't generally use roles or worksets inside roles - I try to use simple roles and mergeids.