cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Java GUI for Unix not showing . files

axel_doerr
Explorer
0 Kudos

we have discovered a strange behaviour with sapgui 7.10 rev 8 on unix (AIX and Solaris). You can't see and browse to folders starting with a . (e.g. .abc) and also files with a . are not listed in the file open dialog (for attaching files via cv02n). Does anybody experience the same behaviour and probabely has found a setting to change it?

Thanks for any help

Axel

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

RMW
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Axel,

given the fact that on Unixes files and folders starting with a dot are considered hidden, it is not too surprising that the file choosers in SAP GUI for Java do not show those files and folders.

Best regards

Rolf-Martin

axel_doerr
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Rolf-Martin,

i totally agree from my sysadmin point of view. However a CAD integration software is writing neutral files to such a hidden folder and the users sometimes need to attach that files manually. I'm just wondering if a switch at the fileselector could be enabled to show hidden files and folders.

The current workaround would be to search the file on unix shell level and enter the filename manually in the fileselector input field. You can imagine how positive a user feedback is on such a workaround . So Unix is not very consistent on judging hidden/not hidden. With an ls -l, or a cd you can see and change to the folder with no problems.

By the way: the standard X-Window fileSelectionBoxDialog shows hidden files and folders!

Axel

RMW
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Axel,

it sounds a bit odd that this CAD integration software is writing files to hidden folders but the user later is forced to navigate inside there.

SAP GUI for Java inherits the file chooser dialog from the Swing framework part of Java. Sun seems to have decided, that by default, hidden files and folders should not be shown.

I am hesitating to generally switch on showing hidden files and folders because it will irritate most end users.

We are looking into a way to add the option to switch on showing hidden files and folders by the user.

Btw, the user can navigate into a hidden folder by entering its name and hitting return, from there the user can navigate as usual. So it is not required to enter a complete path.

Best regards

Rolf-Martin

axel_doerr
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Rolf-Martin,

that sounds great. Can you let me know, when such a switch is available?

Thanks in advance

Axel