cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

characteristic, class, class type to DIR

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi to all

can any one explain me about creating charateristic, assaining it to class type and then to dir

what is that we can get out of this? need it with an example....

Regards

surya

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

There is a class types in SAP. Class type 017 is always for DMS.

1. Create the class first with class type 017. use transaction CL01, CL02.

e.g class - MD_ TECHNICAL

2. Create the characteristics using transaction CT04. Characteristic can have many value formats like numerical, date, character etc. Also it can have single value and multiple value. In restriction tab you can restrict this characteristics to one class on to multiple class which you desire. You can maintain he description of characteristics in various languages. You can make some characteristics mandatory.

e.g Characteristics 1. Drawing Size : value A3,A4, A0 etc, 2, Drawing type: Layout, Mechanical, electrical, automation etc. 3. Vendor drawing number - 1234ABCD. 4. Vendor - Sulzer , etc.

Assing above characteristics to class MD_TECHNICAL

3. In DMS in SPRO do the configuration to assing this class to document type DRW

4. When you create DIR with document type DRW, system will ask to fill values for characteristics as mentioned in point 2.

5. You can search drawing based in class and characteristics values in cv04n.

6. Also there are various good search available for objects i.e. assing to vendor, drawing type, etc. see transaction CL6B, CL20N, CL6BN , CL30, CL30N etc.

Above way is one such example to use class, characterizes etc in SAP.

The hierarchy for it is (High to low)

1. Class type

2. Class

3. Characteristics

4. Object

They are most useful for variant configurations. And also strong in reporting function.

Regards,

Hemant

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

First of all you create characteristics using T-code CT04.

Say for example: Paper size

Assign one value among listed values of the characteristics .

Say for example: select A4 size among A1, A2, A3, A4 size

Then create class of class type 017.

Say for example: Drawing specifications

Assign the characteristics to class.

Assign this class to Document type e.g DRW

Assign the class to document type in SPRO settings

Cross application component-- Document managmement-- control data-- Define document type

Regards,

Jagruti

Former Member
0 Kudos

jagruthi

thanks for the process.........

i am also able to do the same

can u answer me the next question pls

Regards

surya

MangeshP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Surya

By Creating Class and Assigning to Document Type We can further clasiffy the DIR based on some Characteristics.Jagruti has given you an excellant Example. Let me Give you other.

Suppose We have document Type called DRG called Engineering Drawing.Now in a Engineering department consists of sub Functions such as Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Instrumentation Engineering, Piping Engineering.So all these Functions can create DIR with DRG Document Type.To further Clasify We can say that DIR is 100000059 With Document Type DRG is Prepared by Electrical Engineering Function.

This Assigning of Charateristics is done in Additional Data Tab Page in That particular DIR.So whenever we are searching Drawings related to Electrical Engg in DRG Doc Type we get All list.

Hope you have understood the functionality.

With Regards

Mangesh Pande