cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory requirement MAM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I have installed MAM 2.5 on my PDA with 128 MB of RAM (Processor: Intel PXA270). Now i have about 500 functional locations, but I can not say that I am impressed about its performance. In real life we will need to have almost 100 000 functional locations. Can this work and what would the requirement for memory be?

Do anybody have experiense with souch a scenario?

What is the advantage of using the database on a PDA?

Best Regards,

Morten

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

I have the same problem. Here I´ll need at least 30000 materials in MAM2.5. Does any one knows a reference(manual) for MAM capacity/performance?

thanks

Marcos Vilela

Message was edited by: BASIS NETWEAVER

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

A few months ago we did have similar problem. Very slow performance on the sync process.

The solution was as follow:

1. We did review the technical infraestrutcture

2. We did review the customizing part on SPRO, being this one the strongest help for us.

After we did run those two activities our Data Base reduced the size in around 90%. And the sync process was improved in around 90% its performance.

As Oliver said in a before message the Field: Additional Master Data, is Additional.If yu can fiz this part, It will help you a lot. We did have that mistake.

Good luck

0 Kudos

Hi Morton,

as i konow, if you are using SAP NW 2004 you are limited to 10000 Technical Objects(Equipnet and Functional location)

Last month we deployed MAM3.0 Laptop on SAP NW 2004s using DB2E.

We started with 6000 additional equipments and 3000 additional Fuctional Locations. We had a lot of problems with the first synchronisation ( 4 hours for one device), and the performance was bad. The size of the Database was 120 MB.

After one week we decided to stop uploading addition data to the devices. Only Equipments and FL linked to orders and notifications are send to the devices.

Regards

Guido

former_member304703
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Guido,

before doing any SAP Mobile offline application the first excercise that has to be done: sizing. For both middleware and device.

This excercise has to be done before device type is chosen. Customers can have whatever requirements they want but "sometimes" it's just not feasible to sqeueze SAP PLM backend to PDA.

If this is the case either requirements have to be reviewed or device has to be tablet PC.

As for 100000 fucnlocs - the quantity is no that bad in itself. The problem would be in: how many classifications each one has, how many measurement points, partners, etc.

I would recommend you to find on service marketplace document called "Sizing Sizing mySAP Mobile Business" and take a look at it.

Regards,

Larissa Limarova

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thank you for your response. This is a customer requirement to have this many objects on the device. I realize that you can enter the data and the mapping is provided later, but due to the complex character string the customer uses in PM to identify functional locations, a manual entry of this sort will error 75 % to 85% of the time. The errors will have to be manually corrected in the middleware. It may be possible to reduce the number of Functional Locations to something between 7,000 to 10,000 per user, but due to the structure of our PM module, some users will absolutely be responsible for up to 40,000 equipment objects on any given day. And it is also a requirment that they choose from a displayed list rather than enter them in an uncontrolled way. We also have a very complex catalog for cause codes to limit the amount of manual text enty required, and also improve reporting capabilities with consistent data. The listing of Notifications and Workorders are not a problem, it is the catalogs, functional locations, and equipment data that is causing memory problems. I gather from reading previous posts that limiting the data on the handheld is a good idea, but we really can not limit the data any further than we already have. I am beginning to realize that maybe SAP Mobile is not the best solution for our requirements.

With regard to "Additional Master Data": where in SPRO is this? I have looked at the Mobile Asset Management area under Maintenance and Service Processing (Plant Maintenance and Customer Service) and I don't see that field?

Thanks,

Jim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think it is in the screen to define the user scenario.

Well, one comment: if the numbering system is really that difficult - then most likely having all numbers on the device will not help either, cause then it is difficult to find the correct one. Selecting one on the device does not always mean you have the correct one. Here sometimes another solution is a better option - like having the structured list from R/3 via WebService available or so.... Many things are possible.

Regards,

Oliver

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are running MAM3.0 on a 128MB device, and we also are having memory issues. We use DB2e, and we do filter our objects. In my research, it appears that the only answer to this issue is to reduce the amoung of data we are trying to load on the device, but this is not an option for us. Is there any way to increase the storage for data other than using a CF card? Our device does not support a CF card, however, we can install an SD card, but the only documentation I can find from SAP about this states that an SD card is not an option for SAP Moibile. Does anyone have any advice for those of us who need to have in excess of 40,000 equipment records and 30,000 functional locations?

Thanks,

Jim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

the first question is: why do you have the need for 70.000 items on the device?

Notifications and Orders take care, that the necessary FunctLoc and Equipment is on the device itself- So this is downloaded while processing the order or Notif - there is most likely no need to have this info on the device. Even if you create a notification or order on the device, MAM allows to enter the correct information for Equip and FunctLoc on the device and des the mapping later.

Check in SPRO if you have entered a selection crieria by accident in the Field: Additional Master Data. This is Additional(!!!

Regards,

Oliver

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Morten/BASIS NETWEAVER

You can Always Filter the Functional Location using BADIs

and as Sundeep suggested u need to go for DB2E U can have better memory managment need to get Licenses for that .

bye

siddhartha

Please Award Points If U find the Answer Useful

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Morten,

For such a scenario you can make the functional location syncbo's as server driven(there are sap notes for doing the same)so that only those func locations are downloaded to device which are relevant to Order.

Best Regards,

Anand

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi. We are using a ruggadized Symbol device with just 64 MB of memory and are having problems with around 1000 Functional locations. So far we have only been able to limit the number of functional locations by changing the variant in the backend. You're saying something of sap notes where it's described how to filter the func loc that are relevant to orders. We're are those notes? Are there info of how to do the BaDI approach?

Thanks a lot!

/Daniel

Message was edited by: Daniel Guldbrandsen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Daniel

You can also improve the performance by only transferring a minimum of data on each functional location. I believe you can do this by removing some of the mapping on the actual SyncBo.

Regards,

Morten

sandeep_rs
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Gummedal,

I can answer for the second part of your question.

Using a standard database like DB2e has many advantages over a file based storage approach.

1. It offers better transactional safety ensuring data consistency.

2. It offers better query handling capability by providing join abilities.

3. It is possible to encrypt data stored in DB2e and hence is definitely more secure than storing data in simple files.

4. Since data is stored in a structured manner in tables, there is a better usage of space. (And memory is crucial in PDAs)

Best Regards,

Sandeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sandeep,

You said:

<i>"3. It is possible to encrypt data stored in DB2e and hence is definitely more secure than storing data in simple files."</i>

But do you know how the db2e can be encrypted. We are using MAM 2.5 with SAP NW 2004 SP15. Can the db2e be encrypted? Where can I find information about this?

Best Regards,

Bart Elshout

sandeep_rs
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Bart,

I have already replied for the same query in another thread. I put the same here for your quick reference:

===============================================

To use DB2e enryption, you will have to use a seperate DB2e deployment zip at the time of installation. Once you use this DB2e_enrypt version during installation, all data tables further created will have its data encrypted.

Unfortunately, if you are already have data on your device, you cannot use DB2e encryption without requiring to reset the client database first and do an initial download of data again.

===============================================

Best Regards,

Sandeep