cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A background job creating/instantiating another background job

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is there any possibility in SAP, that, a background job can create/instantiate another background job ?

I have one suce requirement, and not sure if this is possible. Any inputs..

-DK

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

yes you can

when you create a job using SM36,there is a option for start condition

in that there is an option for After Job

just give the job name and when that job completes,this job will trigger off

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/EN/c4/3a7fae505211d189550000e829fbbd/frameset.htm

Rohit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rohit,

The one you mentioned is something about job step functionality, where in, a second job is triggered after the first job finishes...but, my requirement is that, a background job, before completion, should trigger another background job and both will need to run asynchronously..

-DK

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Why don't you just schedule them to start at the same time??... I don't understan your requirement.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I cannot start both the jobs at the same time, as based on certain runtime conditions only, I will be needing the second job to start. Just an information, I'm starting these jobs through ABAP code and not through SM36/SM37. Also, these are not usual batch programs that are scheduled on a certain time frequency.

This requirement is part of a bigger requirement that we have. So, just wanted to know whether such things are possible within SAP or not.

-DK

JPReyes
Active Contributor
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

With specific abap code, all is possible !

In your case, maybe, you could just raise a SAP event while running the first job.

The second job could be triggered by the event.

We use a lot this technique on our production R/3 systems.

It is also, possible to create a new job on the fly with function modules.

Regards,

Olivier

Answers (0)