Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarfication regarding usage of type-pools over interface constants

MNaveen
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

There is type-pool called 'ABAP' which is defined in the SAP Basis component which can be used in any of the applications. This type-pool consits of many constants some of which I want to reuse in my

application.

However i have also defined interface constants for those which are not defined in that type-pool and specific for my development.

There is an argument now, to define all constants which can be reused from type-pools abap as interface constants and use them.

I needed a clarifiaction whether resusing of constants defined in type-pools abap will result in any performance issue? and why?.

Will using of interface constants instead of type-pools abap result in better performance? and how?.

Warm Regards,

Naveen M

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mvoros
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

there is no difference between using of standard SAP defined type pool or your own type pools. The type pool definitions are used only during the compilation (activation) of the program. Hence there is no reason why there should be any impact on performance of the program. The type pool corresponds to source code with constant and type definitions. Hence your question is equivalent to question if the usage of SAP includes is better than using your own includes. Obviously there is no difference between them.

Usually, the SQL statements have the biggest impact on the performance of your program. I would concentrate on them.

Cheers

3 REPLIES 3

mvoros
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

there is no difference between using of standard SAP defined type pool or your own type pools. The type pool definitions are used only during the compilation (activation) of the program. Hence there is no reason why there should be any impact on performance of the program. The type pool corresponds to source code with constant and type definitions. Hence your question is equivalent to question if the usage of SAP includes is better than using your own includes. Obviously there is no difference between them.

Usually, the SQL statements have the biggest impact on the performance of your program. I would concentrate on them.

Cheers

0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the info. But i wanted to know in comparison whether using SAP defined type - pools 'abap' is better or using a self declared interface constant is better from performance perspective.

Warm Regards,

Naveen M

mvoros
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

as I already mentioned in my previous post there is no difference from performance perspective. These type definitions are used only during compilation of the program. Hence how can they have impact on runtime performance. There is no difference in generated code from SAP type pool or from your own definition. The type pool is just include with constant and type definitions. Let assume that you define all your types and constants in include ZMY_POOL. Baically there is no difference between

INCLUDE ZMY_POOL.

and

TYPE-POOLS: <ABAP>.

Cheers