cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create Secondary Index?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All

Can anyone let me know how to create secondary indexes?

I hope Primary Indexes are being created automatically?V can'nt able to create this.

regards

balji

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Balaji,

Yes difinitely ou can create secondary index on ODS. As you know ODS is nothing but a transparent table. The index in database table is applicable to ODS. There are 2 kinds of indeces. Priomary and secondary. Primary index is created by system based on the primary key of the table. In case of ODS depending on the key fields( infoobjects). In case you need to create secondary index you must go to ODS maintainence and choose Index folder and right click on it to Create.

Please note index is created to enhance the performance but wrongly defined index has adverse effect on it i.e. decreases the performance. It may enhance perfomance for you but will reduce the performance for other user so need to be very careful. In case you need further information on this please let me know.

cheers,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Creating Index is very easy. But make sure sequence is maintained as per your coding. Otherwise u will have issue.

As everyone said u can create index for ODS by inserting field below index tab which u can see next to Key fileds, Data fields.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Bhuvana.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi tapan

thanks for your detailed info given

regards

balji

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi bhuvana

thanks for your info given

regards

balji

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member181964
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

hi reddy

thanks for your link

regards

balji

edwin_harpino
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi Balaji,

yes, primary index are created by system.

secondary index, for ods you can create with ods maintenance, right click 'indexed' and add infoobject(s). activate ods again.

or use se11, put in table name, and click 'index' and 'new' (blank page icon).

hope this helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi AHP

Thanks for your info given.

But "for ods you can create with ods maintenance, right click 'indexed' and <b>add infoobject</b>(s). activate ods again",,as per you I can't find any option for adding a infoobject how to add this here?

can you pl let me know in this regard?

regards

balji

edwin_harpino
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi Balji,

sorry, should be

right click 'create new index' first,

then you will see index no. e.g 010 like folder,

drag infoobjects from keyfieds or datafields

and drop to the folder 010.

hope it's clear.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

When u right click Index and click create, it will automatically open one folder "010". then drag fields from your datafields and once done activate the ODS.

Automatically u will find improvement in dataloading. You can ceate index even while loading data. You will find the improvement.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bhuvana.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus

Just for clear my doubts , I went thro each thread given here and also went thro SAP library but I am still having the following doubts,Would you pl give me your inputs on,

1.After creating secondary index on ODS,How can we make sure that the secondary index is created ( other than checking Query performance)?

2.How to decide on which objects we need to create Indexes?

3. In the case of Cube ,under performance tab,create index is given .Thats for primary or secondary index?

4.what is repair index?

Pl help to clear the doubts.

Thanks in advance

Krishna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1) Go to Se11 select table /BI0/A<ODS>00 > Utilities> Data bse Object --> Check.

2) If you are using ODS Active table in any Start routine ,Make sure that the order of objects to be seleccted (select statement) should be in same order of index fields.

In Query, Use RSRT to know the SQL statement of the Query .and follow same logic explained above.

3) No need to create Secondary Index for Cube.

4) IT recreates the Index.

With rgds,

Anil Kumar Sharma .P

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Anil

Would you pl elaborate for pt.2 and 4.?

Also For Cube , we need to create index or system will automatic will create an Index?

Thanks

KK