Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Base Quantity

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi gurus,

I have a query regarding Base Quantity.

I have BOM which has header Matearial ( say X ) and it has 2 component ( say A & B).

Now It takes 1 unit of A for making 1000 unit of X and 1 unit of B for making 50 unit of X.

then what should the best option(out of 1, 50,1000,5000 ) for the Base Quantity?

Thanks,

Denish

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks

former_member199502
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

In your Case ,i Would suggest you to go For 1000 as base quantity so that BOM will be simple and easily understandable.In some industies it is difficult to define BOM for 1 Base unit of measure at that time they define BOM like this.

then Finally your BOM will be

1000 unit of X requires 1 unit of A and 2 Unit of B.

No need to worry about the base quantity,no matter how u define system will calculate according to that.

Hope it helps

former_member184655
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Denish,

In my understanding if the production is carried out in mass say 500 or 100 or 1000 and the

components are provided to produce the same then the base quantity can be maintained as 100 or 500.

Moroever in some cases if the individual component quantity is going to be very less say 0.2g for

making a product then instead of alloting for 1 as the base quantity,assigning some higher values as the

base quantity will helps to understand the concept clearly during consumption or costing etc.

Check and revert back.

Regards

Mangalraj.S

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can have any of the options you have mentioned in the post.. At the time of giving the required qty in the BOm, you need to put the correct qty.. thats all.. SAP is such elegant to take the numerical manipulations ...

karthick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

For Material X - Base qty = 1,

Material A = 0.001 (1/1000) units

Material B = 0.02 (1/50) units

Hope this satisfies the requirement.

-Thaila Shree

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thaila,

thanks for for reply.

But can u please explain me , why Base Quantity will be 1 , I mean to say Why not 1000 or 5000 ?

Is there any specific reason behind that???

_- Denish

Edited by: Denish Velachhawala on Apr 18, 2009 8:50 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

It is not necessary that the base qty need to be 1. You can give the base qty for header material X as even 1000, but correspondingly you give the requirement of the other two components A and B. In this case, if you give X - base qty = 1000 units,

A = 1 unit and B = 20 units.

Only the conversion has to be taken care of with the components and the header material.

-Thaila Shree

former_member196398
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Denish,

I would suggest to have a Base Quantity defined for the most likely/preffered Lot Size of Production, say for example a 100kg Packed Product , I would prefer to define the BOM base quantity for 100kg, than 1kg.

or Interms of rounded quantity where just by seeing the base quantity and component quantity you can mentally calculate the ratio(this is my thinking)..there is no logic involved in it.

Regards,

Prasobh