Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

Crystal Reports: Displaying string fields from SAP transparent table

Hello Experts,

we need to display long texts from SAP transparent tables. The length of the text is undefined, that means the text is saved in a string field of undefined length.

If I try to access such a table that contains a string field from Crystal Reports, the generated database doesn´t contain the string field.

Is this a fact or does there a possibility exist to display the string fields from SAP transparent tables ?

(Okay, we could write a program that splits the strings into char fields and then again concatenate the char fields in Crystal Report...)

Thanks in advance,

Frank

replied

Hi all,

I realise this is an old thread, but I was searching for help on a related problem and now I've solved it.

It seems if you select the LCHR field without also selecting the length field that precedes it then the text will be blank. If you add the length field to the selection then the text field will magically be filled in.

For example:

SELECT  object_id  object_text
      FROM zmyobjects
      INTO CORRESPONDING FIELDS OF TABLE lt_object_texts.

Will leave the object text mysteriously blank. Whereas:

SELECT  object_id  text_length  object_text
      FROM zmyobjects
      INTO CORRESPONDING FIELDS OF TABLE lt_object_texts.

will populate the object text.

It sounds like the same thing is happening with Crystal Reports. It would be nice if the syntax check could give us a clue about these things, before we think we've gone mad.

Best regards,

Paul.

0 View this answer in context
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question