cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to get userid from Portal

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI experts,

when someone logs on to the portal and clicks on the reports ( this is where we have all our reports), this should access based on who logged into the portal and get the data. Like all the employees and managers and managers will have a single link, so depending on the employee and Manager we need to get the data.

Lets say if it is an employee he can only view his data, but manager can view everyone under him.

I was said to create an Userexit which automatically takes the personal logon details and passes to the BW server, when he clicks on the report and gets the data.

Can anyone tell me how do i create this kind of exit. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank You,

John.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (10)

Answers (10)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Arun,

Is it possible for you send me the docs on user mapping, from the begining, i mean where i need to do BW and On portal side. So that would be easy for me to follow the docuemnt. Below is my mail id

jonarch4u@gmail.com

One morething thing is, if it is ok with you can you send me your contact details to the above mail id so that i can get in touch with you. Hope you do understand my situation.

Thanks

JOhn.

athavanraja
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

<i>as of now we are not using SSO, the portal guys said it will take time for them to do that,</i>

i wont buy this argument. setting up SSO doesnt take much time. (provided the users are same in portal and bw)

<u><b>Steps for setting up SSO:</b></u>

1. import portal certificate into the backend system

2. set up profile parameters in back end system for sso2

3. create the system definition in portal for the backend

thats all you are done.

(for more on this search SDN weblog area , there were atleast 4 to 5 weblgs on this subject.)

<u><b>now to clarify user mapping</b></u>

say you have 10 users accessing portal and there is only two users exits in BW system. in this case you set up usermapping in portal, for portal to connect to BW system, meaning a single userid/pwd is used to connect to BW. irrespective of who logs onto portal always one user is used to connect to the backend system.

Hope this is clear.

Regards

Raja

sorry for the delay, it was weekend for me

athavanraja
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

check out these weblogs on SSO

/people/sap.user72/blog/2004/09/15/quick-guide-for-setting-up-sso-between-ep-and-r3

/people/dennis.kleymeonov/blog/2005/09/15/connecting-sap-systems-to-enterprise-portal-with-sso

/people/sap.user72/blog/2004/11/30/user-mapping-based-single-sign-on - user mapping

/people/sap.user72/blog/2004/10/25/sap-logon-ticket-based-single-sign-on - log on ticket

Regards

Raja

Reward points to the helpful answers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Arun,

I dont get this line you said

"For setting up N:N SSO link , you will have to declare the BW system in EP and that is all that is required. To see if SSO is validated , go to TCode STRUST in BW and you will see a line calles PSE , if that is green , then SSO is enabled in your system."

U said, instead of SSO we can use N:N mapping. Agin in the above infomation u provided it says N:N SSO link, so do we need to setup SSO???

Is it possible to give me your email id so that i can send some screen shots.

Thanks,

John

former_member184494
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

okay , sorry for the consfusion ,

there are two ways of setting up a N:N connection ,

lets take two users A and B in both systems , i.e User ID A and B exist both in Portal and BW , which means I login with user ID A in EP and BW.

1. use SSO and it will by itself map the users to both systems , it will take it that User IDs A and B are the same in both systems and no manual intervention is required. Also the user cannot log into BW directly using the logon pad for the same user ID. User A can look at BW reports only through Portal and cannot log into RRMX and see the reports.

2. Use user mapping and maintain something like a lookup table which says that User A in Portal is mapped to User A in BW and so on. This has to me maintained for all portal users. For this SSO is not required. however in addition user ID A and B in portal can be mapped to any user ID and this can be changed anytime, this is not possible in SSO.

User mapping involves an additional task of maintaining the user maps which is not required in SSO.

in summary for SSO the mappings are automatic and need not be manually maintained and for User mapping , the mappings have to be individually maintained.

Arun

P.S I think I got carried away with the User A and B stuff in the middle somewhere...???

Former Member
0 Kudos

Arun,

I checked ur last post after posting my message, so

what would be better, is that to have N users in portal as well as N users in BW

or

N users in portal and mapped to 1 user in BW.

If 1 user in BW then how to we do restriction. i need these details so that i could explain my higher authorities.

Thanks,

John

former_member184494
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The common process is to have a N:N mapping , in the case of N:1 , it becomes very hard to manage authorizations but is cheaper in terms of license costs.

For setting up N:N SSO link , you will have to declare the BW system in EP and that is all that is required. To see if SSO is validated , go to TCode STRUST in BW and you will see a line calles PSE , if that is green , then SSO is enabled in your system.

For user mapping , you will have to maintain the mappings every time a new user is created in EP and make sure that the current authorizations hold for the same.

For using SSO however , you will have to create users in BW and EP and Assign Roles in both but the backend is much simplified in the case of SSO and security is much better. If you do a IE trace on EP using SSo , you will not see the login details , if the same is attempted to HHTP means , then the LOGIN ID ans PASSWORD will become visible consituting a threat...

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/eb/01783ab66811d5993900508b6b8b11/frameset.htm

this will give the portal guys as to how to set it up , otherwise it will be in the netweaver install guides...

Arun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Arun,

This is a new implementation. so no one has a clear picture, and even the user mappings are not there.

Can you be more specific about user mappings(does this mean we need to map all the portal users to a BW user, if so how do we set the security level, i mean the restriction). please let me know about hese mappings.

Is this the BW developer Job or the Securiy guys job to do this. so that i can request them for more resources.

Thanks,

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

Arun,

Thanks for the response, as of now we are not using SSO, the portal guys said it will take time for them to do that, so they asked us to create a exit and pass the logon details.

This is the first time i am trying this so i am confused and dont know where to start from and what are the requirements we need to do this. Is it possible for you give a step by step procudure if u dont mind.

Thanks,

John.

former_member184494
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

John ,

in that case they must be usine User Mapping , otherwise , you cannot connect to the BW system without logging on again.

without any user authentication in the portal , the sequence will be

1. Login to portal

2. go to workset with BW content

3. Click on BW Link

4. Login again

5. Get BW Report

the BW server will require the login again...

for doing this , the BW server may be used to show the reports directly with a login directly to the BW server , but that has some security problems...

Arun

Message was edited by: Arun Varadarajan

former_member184494
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sorry for the multiple post , but thought that this should be separate

Is your landscape configured in such a way that , if there are N users who access BW through portal , there will be N corresponding users in BW also ?

It is however possible using Java components developed on IDEs like eclipse etc to create pages that will help you log on to BW , but that is infitinesimaly more complex as compared to setting up SSO which is a very short process.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/4a/b62640632cec01e10000000a155106/frameset.htm

this provides an overview of authentication using J2EE

Arun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

Can some one answer this question, i am in a lot of pressure regarding this and need to implement it as soon as possible. help me out.

Thank You,

John

former_member184494
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

John,

sorry for the late response , - different time zones!!!

will you be using SSO ?

what you need to do then is you will have to create all the users in the BW system and in your user exit , the system field Sy-UNAME can be used as a filter condition on 0employee or user or whatever your infoobject is.

In case of SSO the user ID of the person logging in will be the same in BW also and hence you can get the ID.

Hope this helps...

Arun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you tell me how do we map the users from portal to BW

john.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

Can some one respond to this, i need to complete this by today. To be frank, i am new to this kind of work, i dont know where to start from and what are the initital requirements, can you guys guide me in more detail( step by step) and how to implement it. Apreciate if you guys can help me out, I am reaching my deadline.

Thank You,

John.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arun/Raja,

To be clear, i am new to this kind of work, i dont know where to start from and what are the initital requirements, can you guys guide me in more detail( step by step) and how to implement it. Apreciate if you guys can help me out, I am reaching my deadline.

Thank You,

John.

former_member184494
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

John,

how have you configured the link between the portal and BW , is it through SSO ?

in that case the field SY-UNAME which is the standard for logged in ID will hold.

If you have used user mapping , the ID of the person you have mapped to in portal will hold.

Have a variable exit on employee and filter by the SY-UNAME and that should solve your purpose.

Arun

athavanraja
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

just pass <b>&UserId=<User.LogonUid></b> along with the query string parameter in the BWquery iview. (this will send the portal logged on userid via the url)

now within your template you can read this using javascript , or have a hidden inputfield with name UserId and that will hold the value of the portal logged on user.

Regards

Raja

former_member184494
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Raja,

If I have 10 users a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j mapped onto one user Z in BW , what will the URL parameter give me when I attempt to log onto BW- A or Z ?

Arun

athavanraja
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Arun,

Sorry, I dont get your question.

user A logs on to portal and runs a bwquery and you want to get his user id inthe webtemplate. (because the connection is not SSO but user mapping), so it will always be one sinlge user.

Hope this is clear.

Regards

Raja

former_member184494
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Raja,

What I was trying to imply was:

1. I have user mapping and am not using SSO.

2. I have one user Z in BW who is mapped to 10 users in EP (a,b,c....)

3. If I log in as 'a' in EP and execute a URL for a BW Query using the user.loginUID as given by you earlier .... what will the value passes be ? will it be 'A' or 'Z' ?

Arun

athavanraja
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for the clarification.

3. it will be 'A' and thats what we wanted right?

2. the one user in 'Z' is mapped for a system alias, whichever iview uses that will use 'Z' as a user to log on to BW. its not user to user mapping, its user to system mapping.

Regards

Raja

former_member184494
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Raja ,

Arun

P.S Wish i could award points ;-(