cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Definition of fixed and variable costs

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

where do I define if a an expense account is a fixed or variable cost element? Do I have to set up separte expense accounts in the Chart of Accounts for fixed and variable?

Can you give me some info of how this is done.

Thanks

Paul

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Paul,

Cost elements are not set up as fixed or variable. The process is as follows:

In KP26, for a particular cost centre, link an activty type to the cost element.

When you are in KP06, you will see that you now have a fixed and variable amount column available for your planning.

In a manufacturing environment:

You then use KSPP to calculate the activity qties required, KPSI to populate the cost centre with that info, and KSPI to calculate an activity price.

In CK11N/CK40, you then calculate the material cost taking into account the fixed variable split.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

You can use the features of Cost Element Attributes and Cost Element Attributes Mix for this.

Pls check OKA4 and OKEC transaction codes for this. IMG -- CO -- CE Accounting -- Master Data -- Cost Elements

Once you create the Attribute Mix, you can populate it in the Cost Element Master Data.

You can describe a cost element with a maximum of eight attributes, independent of the chart of accounts. You can use these attributes for evaluations in reporting.

You can store a valid combination of permitted attributes:

--In the cost element's master data

--In cost center planning for the combination cost center/cost element

Pls revert back for further explanation...

Srikanth Munnaluri

former_member182098
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

There are no fixed and variable cost elements.

The only cost elements are primary and secondary. For primary cost elements, the pre-requisite is that you must have a GL account. For secondary cost element, there is no need of GL Account. Secondary cost elements are for the purpose of CO only.

However, you can plan fixed or variable amounts / quantities in KP06 or KP26

Regards,

Ravi