cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Microsoft Cluster.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Years ago i did many SAP in the Microsoft Cluster Environment. I have to say that I like it, some problems can occour but the system was reliable.

At this moment we're planning new environments for the HCM servers. The Microsoft Cluster has been choosen as the main HA system. Well, I have read some documentation and many thinks are changed. The first in the new idea of the SPOFs ( single point of failures ) are the only that will be clusterized and the application servers will be installed in the local machines.

I need some clarification. We're not planning to have Application servers. Only one instance will be enough. Can I clusterize the dialog instance to avoid the local installation as I did in the past ? There is something i'm missunderstanding.

Best regards.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

In resume.

We have to clusterize:

- SCS ( with the central services it hasn't dialog processes).

- SQL Server.

I don't clusterize: The application servers. We need to install it locally in each node, configure logon group and add both servers.

It's the only way to do this ? We want to install more than one SAP in this cluster. I think that now the cluster installation is worts than before. The local installation needs more local disk space and two application server installation. In little installations this its worts.

Best regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

>It's the only way to do this ?

This is the only way that I know of. It may, of course, exist other ways.

>We want to install more than one SAP in this cluster.

This seems strange to me. Usually, you clusterize to get a High availability system.

If you put several SAP systems on the same cluster, you get dependencies and less than optimal reliablility. I'm not even sure that it would be supported by SAP ?

Best Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

The multiple SAP installation in the same cluster is fully supported by SAP. You can find the guide:

Installation of Multiple SAP Systems in MSCS. MSSQL Server in:

https://service.sap.com/installnw70

Link:

Installation Guide - SAP NetWeaver 7.0 including EHP 1,

And dowload the guide under Multi-SID Installation on Windows MSCS.

I think that i will test it under lab conditions using vmware trying to understand the process. My main problem is that this are going to be installed by external consultants and I need to know all the process in order to avoid potential problems in the project start.

Best regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You should not clusterize your Central instance which is just now the first dialog instance.

What I would do in your case, would be to install the CI on one node and a DI on the second node.

This will work because the CI and DI are not SPOF anymore.

In cas of one of the nodes crash, thare will be a fail over and you will still have either the CI or the DI for your users to be able to work.

It means that you will need a SMLG logon group including the CI and DI.

Regards,

Olivier