cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SFTP Adapter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

i am very confuse between these two words SFTP amd FTPs.Please explain me both.

I need to do the following PoC

FSTP Open Source Adapter integration with SAP XI - testing the features

Please let me know if there is any open source SFTP adapter available.

Regards,

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Open source adapters are not available for SFTP. But you may use this

/people/daniel.graversen/blog/2008/12/11/sftp-with-pi-the-openssh-way

And for the difference,

/people/krishna.moorthyp/blog/2007/07/31/sftp-vs-ftps-in-sap-pi

Regards,

Prateek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I have gone through these documents but still I did not get a clear picture as when to go for SFTP and when for FTPs.

can somebody through a light on it.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Though you may cover similar or even equal usecases with both adapters their protocols differ completely. FTPS is really FTP using a SSL/TLS connection while SFTP is a completely independent protocol with a SSH secure connection underneath. The decision which protocol to choose highly depends on the the system you want to connect to (maybe they do not even offer sftp or ftps) your network infrastructure and the scenario which needs to be covered. Technically SFTP would even allow to execute remote OS commands the same way you can do this via ssh e.g. with putty). Thats just an example that the requirements and of course the available adapters need to checked for the decision.

Technically the difference is huge.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

madanmohan_agrawal
Contributor
0 Kudos

Nidhi Says..

confuse between these two words SFTP amd FTPs

Hi Nidhi,

SFTP is FTP over SSH protocol and

FTPS is FTP over SSL protocol.

SFTP (Secure File Transfer Protocol)

"SSH File Transfer Protocol" or SFTP is a network protocol that provides file transfer and manipulation functionality over any reliable data stream. It is typically used with the SSH-2 protocol to provide secure file transfer. SFTP encrypts the session, preventing the casual detection of username, password or anything that is being transmitted. One key benefit to SFTP is its ability to handle multiple secure file transfers over a single encrypted pipe. By using a single encrypted pipe, there are fewer holes in the corporate firewall.

FTPS (FTP over SSL)

FTPS (FTP-SSL) is a real ftp that uses TSL/SSL to encrypt the control session and if required the data session. With FTPS, the control session is always encrypted, but the data session may not be always encrypted. FTPS is a file transport layer on top of SSL. SSL, or Secure Sockets Layer, is a method by which an encrypted u2018pipe' or tunnel is established between the FTP client and FTP server. Once the secure tunnel has been established (which is done using 128-bit encryption techniques), standard FTP is used to transfer data over the secure connection.

As per the latest SAP PI/XI support pack, it does not support SFTP via File Adapter.

So alternative approach to cater this requirement from XI is to make use of Unix Script at OS level to transfer the files from/to third-party systems.

Inbound Interface - i.e. third-party system ->XI->SAP:

File is transferred to a folder in SAP XI landscape from the third-party legacy system using UNIX Script with secured protocol. Once the file is ready in the XI landscape, File Adapter will poll this directory and file is picked up by NFS protocol.

Outbound Interface u2013 i.e. SAP->XI->third-party system:

XI is responsible for writing a file into a folder in the XI landscape. These files are transferred to the third-party system by executing UNIX scripts with secured protocol i.e. via sFTP.

/people/krishna.moorthyp/blog/2007/07/31/sftp-vs-ftps-in-sap-pi

The File Adapter does not support SFTP (File Transfer over SSH). It supports FTPS.

U may view this here at point 28 in SAP Note: 821267

Just an add-on, if u want to view the difference between FTPS (that XI supports) and SFTP, please refer this link

http://www.enterprisedt.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=136&sid=28d66491b43c6bf90448deea4936bc15

. SAP is looking into this. Please see this thread on this discussion:

Ragards,

Madan Agrawal