Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion on Search Option

babu_kilari4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello SDN Members,

We know that there are people who are registering in to SDN rapidly and SDN is growing day by day.

I could see that newly registered people were asking basic questions again and again without searching the previous forum discussions.

Today one of my friends joined SDN and he was trying to search for something in SDN Forums.

At that moment, I observed the way how he is searching.

1) He searched it for some keyword and the defaullt option is "Search in 90 days threads"

2) He hadn't selected the right area of ABAP Development section.

3) He told to me that the results are not coming properly.

4) Later on I explained try to set the date range as "ALL" and got the solution in old forum

What I concluded is, this could be the problem with many NEW USERS. Most of them might not see

the Date range option or Category or Forum and they end up in posting a new query to which we reply again saying that Please search in SDN before posting.

To avoid this, I thought of giving following suggestions but it has some -ve sides too.

1) Make the *Date Range Option* value as "ALL" default. But, this could result in huge load on the system if everyone searches using that.

2) When some one clicks on "Post new thread", let us display a page asking them the tips to search like

a) Have you tried searching before?

b) Have you selected the right forums to search?

c) Have you searched in Wikis and blogs?

Doing this step might give them idea of better way of searching.

Hope you understood the concern here.

Waiting for a postive reply from you all. No Offence meant...

Thanks,

Babu Kilari

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member184119
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> To avoid this, I thought of giving following suggestions but it has some -ve sides too.

> 2) When some one clicks on "Post new thread", let us display a page asking them the tips to search like

> a) Have you tried searching before?

> b) Have you selected the right forums to search?

> c) Have you searched in Wikis and blogs?

>

> Doing this step might give them idea of better way of searching.

>

> Thanks,

> Babu Kilari

Then in this case no body intrested to post !! No OFFENSE...direct i am saying

This can be restricted to the persons who are posting first 50 threads....For the new users putting like this conditions really helpfull...not only in this case...But persons who keep on creating multi number of records will adversly decrease and restrict to one ID

Regards

sas

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
2) When some one clicks on "Post new thread", let us 
       display a page asking them the tips to search like

a) Have you tried searching before?
b) Have you selected the right forums to search?
c) Have you searched in Wikis and blogs?

While this point can be taken into consideration, my observation in the sales forum is that despite repeated requests made to the new members to make a search the forum before posting basic questions, they continue to post such questions again and again and at times, I had to lock that thread.

Only time will have to teach these members as to how effectively they can make use of this forum. One should have self displine otherwise, whatever improvement / controls we implement, it will be of no use.

thanks

G. Lakshmipathi