cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too many areas in a multi-planning area

Former Member
0 Kudos

Fellow BPSters,

Just designing my system landscape at the moment. We have about 5 areas to link together in a multi-area, but most of the time we'll just be looking at data in 2 areas.

Is there an overhead associated with having the additional 3 areas in there (of course we'll always be specifying the relevant areas using the planning area characteristic)?

If there is no overhead, then i'll stick to one multi-area as then i only have to set up variables etc on one area.

Cheers,

Tristan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As far as I know there's no overhead. We also have the same design multiplanning area with 7-8 planning areas and normally (90% of the functionality)uses data from 2 areas.

thanks

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member93896
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tristan,

of course there is an overhead. General recommendation is to use as few areas in a multi planning area as possible (or better use the base planning area directly).

For example the start-up time of planning folders or web interfaces will go up with big multi planning areas since the BW meta data has to be read for all involved InfoCubes.

Regards

Marc

SAP NetWeaver RIG

Former Member
0 Kudos

It depends. The planning area structure size will be depend on the union of all planning area characteristics and key figures of the multi-plan area. This will limit the maximum number of records you could handle. If all the planning areas have the same characteristics, then this may not add any overhead. Still, make sure the planning area in the package is limited to relevent values, to avoid reading from all the cubes.

Regards

Ravi