Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complete Database Recovery

former_member657020
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Support Team,

My system development is running on ECC 6.0,Windows 2003 server and oracle 10.2 from last 1 year.Now i need to run a test scenerio of restoration of complete database of development to new blank installed SAP System ECC 6.0 with the same OS,Oracle but different configuration memory Size.

Can some one let me know what are the parameters to be changed in initsid.sap file in order to carry offline restoration through brtootls and procedure to be followed. i have compelte offline brbackup and brarchive of my devlopment system which we carry out in a sequnetial manner.

What are steps to be considered before starting the restoration and step-by-step procedure will be really helpful.

Looking forward for your reply.

Regards

Chiranjeevi.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chir,

Find my clarifications here:

1) There should be one controlfile, take a backup controlfile using below command

sqlplus>> alter database backup controlfile to trace;

It will generate one controlfile with ext .trc under /oracle/SID/saptrace/usertrace/ directory

Just copy the same to some other location. And edit the same. Before opening the database on new system you need to copy this file to controlfile locations in new server.

2) Just delete contents of datafiles, not sapdata files.

3) To avoid any type of issues i suggested to take a copy from source to target server. No need to change any thing/ other than SID

4) recover database using backup controlfile until cancel;

Regards

Nick Loy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Refer to following guide

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/6945da7d-0c01-0010-1792-dd7b5d87...

you will get all your answers plus it tells you in detail what stpes need to be performed

Rohit

Former Member
0 Kudos

check out

[https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/a975013a-0d01-0010-7c9d-dcfda2e3b566]

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chir,

The requirement of you is almost a system copy using backup/restore method.

You have already taken a full online+redolog backup of your DEV system.

And you have new system installed on same platfrom and same version.

Then follow the normal homogenous system copy method to restore the database into new system.

Before going to restore just take a copy of initSID.sap from old server to new server. There change SID, if you are going to restore the database into different one.

Steps to restore:

take full onlene+redolog backup

Make a copy of controlfile from source system.

stop sap+database on target server.

Delete all sapdata files from target server.

Restore the database using brrestore command lines or BRTOOLS.

Recover the database using backed up controlfile.

Open the database + SAP.

Let us know if you are facing any issue in following these steps. Better to read system copy guide.

Regards

Nick Loy

former_member657020
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Nicky,

Thanks for the information.As you said we have a new SAP system installed with its new own database ( oracle 10g). I have written some of my doubts from the suggestions given by you.Please clarify.

1.Make a copy of controlfile from source system.

Do i need to copy the control file ( Ctrl A + Ctrl B) of the source system to target system or just need to have a copy of the traget system in safe place.Please confirm.

2.Delete all sapdata files from target server.

Do i need to delete all the sapdata files (sapdata1,sapadata2,..........etc).

3.Before going to restore just take a copy of initSID.sap from old server to new server.

I have my backuped data available in D drivein the local harddisk,under folder named "SAPBACKUP"in the new SAP installated physical server.Can you please inform me what are the changes to be done in initsid.sap file for this.

4. Recover the database using backed up controlfile

Do i need to follow any specefic suggestions for this.

Thanks in advance.

Former Member
0 Kudos

one more step. finally open the database with resetlogs. you can find detailed guide in my previous link

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Let us assume that the database / central instance server and application server for the target system already exist and are set up from an infrastructure standpoint.

I hope you've only ABAP system. If you're JAVA then its recommended to use sapinst i.e r3load method.

Steps:-

Execute a user master export of source client

Create Config files of source system

SQL>alter database backup controlfile to trace restelogs;

This will craete a trace file. You need to edit this is in target syetem (control.sql)

Export Java schema from the source system if you have Java stack as well

all the remaining steps will be on the target system.

Copy initSID.sap, initSID.ora, initSID.dba, initSID.utl(if tsm is used) files from the source system

Copy backup and archive logs files from the source system

Stop SAP (CI & APP)

Stop Oracle Services.

Stop SAP Services

Remove old files,

Go to Command Prompt

Set Oracle_SID=Source SID( Your DEV SID here)

Set SAPDATA_HOME=X:\oracle\SID

Set DSMI_CONFIG= point to that TSM in which your DEV backups are stored. (Here assume TSM is used for backups)

backint u2013p <Oracle_Home>\database\initSID.utl u2013f password

Restore the database

Restore the archive logs

Start Oracle Service

Execute u2018Point in Time recovery

Create trace file

Adjust the initSID.ora file (if required)

Edit the trace file to create control.sql

Stop Oracle Service for OLD SID

Rename Directories

Start Oracle Service for NEW SID

Rename and start DB with new name of target sytem

Add tempfiles to PSAPTEMP

Depending on the system type you use, you've to follow the post refresh activity.

for oracle database guide, follow this,

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwpi71/helpdata/en/0b/5daf09b03344ad97338f838e09b9ee/frameset.htm

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Sushil

former_member657020
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank You for the help.

I have done daily backup to my DEV system through db13 t.code(Whole database online+redo log backup).Can we restore the whole database from this db13 backup at the times of whole disaster recovery?

In db13 we have an option for (full database backup+redo log backup). Which one is better for whole disaster recovery( whole database backup or full database backup along with redo log backup).

Now here my requirement is i want to restore the total backup data of DEV system to a newly installed SAP system.Can someone please explain little bit ellaborately ( only ABAP stack) how to restore the data to a newly installed SAP system with the help of BRTOOLS.

Thanks in advance.

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

first, how have you done your backup? thgouh brbackup? OS backup? brbackup using 3rd-party backup agent? RMAN? any other method?

was this backed up on disk? on tape? on network drive?