cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unspecified error on getPropertyValue

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

This is probably a newbie problem, but here goes...

The applet load correctly with the right data.

I get the "Unspecified Error" when I click the Test Me button.

It doesn't matter what templates I use or if I use iCommand or...

Seems I am having trouble with the getPropertyValue() function. ???

What did I do wrong? (You're going to have to pretend the rest of the web page is here. I couldn't post it to this forum. ARGH)

Thanks,

Amy Smith

-- Haworth

xxxalert(document.getElementById("myApplet").getQueryObject().getPropertyValue("displayname"));

<APPLET name="myApplet" CODE="iGrid" CODEBASE="/XMII/Classes/" ARCHIVE="illum8.zip" HEIGHT="300" WIDTH="800" MAYSCRIPT>
	<PARAM NAME="QueryTemplate" VALUE="APEX/Queries/EX/plantSelectionQuery" />
	<PARAM NAME="DisplayTemplate" VALUE="APEX/Templates/EX/plantSelectionTemplate" />
</APPLET>

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Amy,

document.getElementById("<<ElemenId>>") expects element id as input paramater. So you need to code the applet tag as

<APPLET id="myApplet" name="myApplet" ....

</APPLET>

BR,

SB

Former Member
0 Kudos

SB,

Yes, but even still document.getElementById('myApplet').getQueryObject().getPropertyValue('theproperty') will not work because .getPropertyValue method is a method of the applet object, not the query object.

Either will work:

document.myApplet.getPropertyValue('theproperty') - were myApplet is the NAME of the applet or

document.getElementById('myApplet').getPropertyValue('theproperty') - where myApplet is the ID of the applet.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone, Argh! I let myself get mislead by the manual.

Applet Methods 
Use
To call a method, reference the query or display object, and call the appropriate function 
with the necessary parameters.

BTW: Regarding id and name --- In IE7

With <APPLET name="myApplet" and no id -- these both work

--document.getElementById("myApplet").getPropertyValue("IllumLoginRoles")

--document.myApplet.getPropertyValue("IllumLoginRoles")

I tried those same references with id and no name and they both worked. Not saying that this is cross browser compatible though.

--Amy Smith

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hmm, that's interesting that the id attribute is inherently set by the browser (or at least IE). Any chance you can try it in Firefox/Safari/Opera/Chrome and post the results?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Ryan,

I tried FF as I have Firefox installed, but don't use it for anything. I tried FF a couple of times, but the applet is problematic. I tried my little test app and the alerts either take 10-15 secs and return blank or they actually hang. I was never able to run the app that TCS delivered to us in FF either. Steve wasn't either, and he uses Firefox.

I don't have time to figure out what is wrong. The advantage of intranet application development is that I only have to deal with IE. The disadvantage is on the resume!

--Amy Smith

--Haworth

Former Member
0 Kudos

I hear you.

I actually develop in Firefox because of the plug-ins like FireBug that allow for HTML/CSS validation as well as a great Javascript debugger/logger. I of course always test against IE as this is the business world standard, for now. And of course, the first step in validation is providing a DOCTYPE in your web page.

When/if you develop for cross-browser functionality you'll really very quickly start to hate (passionately) IE and its lack of compliance, especially around CSS and AJAX and events.

I've read in more than one [article|http://www.bbspot.com/News/2008/06/microsoft-abandons-internet-explorer-8.html] that Microsoft won't be continuing IE, and have possibly stopped development of IE8. Firefox will be shipping as the standard browser in Windows 7 and Windows Vista SP2.

That could/should be a very big cause for pause for companies relying solely on IE-only validated web applications. Just something to think about...

Regarding applets in Firefox, I have not had any problems with them other than they fail to validate against XHTML DOCTYPEs and even with HTML 4.01 Transitional, the validator pops a warning message about the applet tag being deprecated and the "mayscript" attribute being proprietary to Netscape (circa a long, long time ago).

Former Member
0 Kudos

FYI, IE8 has developer tools much like Firefox does (browse the DOM, debugging, etc.).

I'm assuming you know that the article regarding IE/Firefox was intended as humor, not fact...

Regarding applets, it would not surprise me to see applet support completely deprecated in the near future...

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The getPropertyValue(thePropertyName) method is off of the applet object itself, not the query object.

document.myApplet.getPropertyValue("displayname").

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amy,

Try this

<APPLET id="myApplet" name="myApplet"

Cheers

Rupesh