cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can not handle DBMS's Character Set

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I installed MDM Server, MDM Console successfully.(MDM 5.5 sp3).My machine is having local oracle server.

In MDM console , I gave localhost when i mount the server.

Now, When I am creating mdm repository,I gave DMBS setting and user id and password, when i clicked Next..,

It is saying..."Can not handle DBMS's Character Set".

Please help me...

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Vito,

We are looking for solution for MDM 5.5 SP<b>04</b> as I noted above in this thread, not SP05.

The Installation Guide for MDM5.5 SP<b>04</b> section 4.2.2 recommends:

"If you are creating a database during a complete installation, you can accept the default. To create an Oracle database using the Oracle tools, select the following option: Character Set AL32UTF8."

Our DBA used Oracle tool to create a database with char set AL32UTF8 based on the above guidelines. We're getting error connecting to it via MDM 5.5 SP04. Why are we not getting result anticipated based on the Installation Guide for MDM5.5 SP04 section 4.2.2? Are there any other reasons for this error in the SP04 release or is the information in the guide incorrect? (e.g. missed setting, etc.)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Shiva,

Workflow is not a Pre-requisite for creating repositories.

You said your machine has a local Oracle server. Please note that MDM requires the character set <b>AL32UTF8</b> if you are using Oracle. You can always check the character set of your Oracle installation by using the following query:

select VALUE from NLS_DATABASE_PARAMETERS where

PARAMETER='NLS_CHARACTERSET'

For all these details and additional information on the Character Set requirements for MDM, please refer to Installation Guide.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rajani Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rajani Kumar,

We're getting the same error as Shiva: MDM server can not handle DBMS's, however our Oracle Character Set is defined as AL32UTF8. Are there any other causes for this error?

Additional information

MDM Server version - 5.5.34.48 (sp4)

Oracle version - 9.2.0.6 (Oracle runs on remote server)

Thank you.

Lena.

Message was edited by:

Yelena Zeltser

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shiva, Yelena,

select VALUE from NLS_DATABASE_PARAMETERS where

PARAMETER='NLS_CHARACTERSET'

must return UTF8, so it's different, you need to reinstall the Oracle DB spcifing that character set.

Hoper this help.

Vito

Former Member
0 Kudos

Vito,

Thank you for the quick response. I did not verify char set via SQL query provided in this thread. Our DBA defined char set as AL32UTF8 according to the MDM 5.5 SP4 InstallationGuide. There is no need to verify this setting. Are you saying that SAP Installation Guide provided incorrect references and the char set should be defined as UTF8 when the Oracle database is created?

Message was edited by:

Yelena Zeltser

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Yelena,

this solution regards MDM 5.5 SP5. Please, read the following installation Guide:

https://websmp203.sap-ag.de/~form/sapnet?_FRAME=CONTAINER&_HIER_KEY=701100035871000358192&_OBJECT=01...;

In par. 4.1.2 Oracle DBMS you read:

"If you are creating a database during a complete installation, you can accept the default. To createan Oracle database using the Oracle tools, select one of the following character sets:

- National Character Set: UTF8 or UTF16

- Character Set: Any can be used"

Hope this help you.

Regards,

Vito

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Shiva kumar,

I'll send you one document on MDM 5.5 , This will help you to find the solution.

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/9180cbaf-0801-0010-f882-f2a...

Thanks

Varun CN

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

This document talking about MDM workflows. Is it compulsary to create workflow to create repository?

please help me.