cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup policy SQL Server and Win 2003.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi gurus,

Any of you have experience with the backup policy in cluster environment ? I have no problem with the database policiy. The great problem is backup the OS data and wich backup period can be use.

Backup proposal.

SQL Server.

Daily full database backup to tape. Recovery mode full.

Every two hours to disk ( in network location out the cluster envionment). Backup log.

Create one alert in SQL Server that backups the log when de log file reach the 80% and send operator message.

Every morning. Backup all the logs files to tape. Initialize the backup log file.

Operating System.

When the installation is finished. Drive image or ghost of every disk. This task can be done one time every six month or when one critical change is done.

Daily. Backup usr/sap.

Weekly. Backup OS and SQL Server binary files.

I think that it's ok for the R/3 environment but I want to know if anyone is using diferent policies in the java environment ( EP ).

Last question. Wich backup tools are you using ( Backup exec, ARC Server, Tivoli ... ) ?

Best regards.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jose,

In the backup proposal fro SQL server,I would recommend:

That the backup log should be written to the tape and not disk,I would never recommend you to take backuplogs on disk,

For EP i would recommend that you increase the backup log frequency to say around 6 hours or 12 hours as not many logs are generated as compared to R/3

Also The backup tool that I am using is Tivolii and it is very good in Windows environment

Let me know of any questions

Rohit

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry there is a mistake in my explanation.

The idea is to do backup log every two hours in production system to a file server shared disk. I've thinking about it and could be a good idea to mantain at least two days of log backup online. This backup files will be copied to tape every day.

How we can do this ?

Backup log to file device named using the day and hour as part of the file name.

Backup the backup log file to tape ( this will set the archive bit on the backup files )

Delete all the old files ( more than two days ) with the archive bit set every morning.

Do you think that is a better strategy ?

We're focusing in the SQL area. What do you think about the cluster environment. What need to be save ? Ideas ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I agree the log backup policy for the EP and SQL Server. I have only one doubt, why is a problem to backup the logs in disk devices ? I've used it for years and never had problems with this restoring data. The backup is very fast ( usually seconds ) and if it is in other server no problems when the disks crashes can occur.

Best regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I agree that the backups are faster but I feel they are less reliable than tapes and also tapes failure is less likely than your hard disk crash or something like that

Rohit

debasissahoo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

taking a backup on which device depends on the strategy followed by the customer. even if its taken on a disk / tape, usually some backups are stored in a different location for long term purpose. so in case the disk crash occurs, at least you've a backup to rebuild your system.

In case of disk backup, I believe in production system, customers always do the OS level data back up on daily basis. so even if your server is crashed, you can restore the file level contents with the help of OS team.

Regards,

Debasis.

Former Member
0 Kudos

check out following link.

[http://www.emc.com/collateral/software/technical-documentation/h5847-backup-recovery-sap-cx3-edl-rm-nworker-ref-arch.pdf]