cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inst. on Windows 2008, network drives

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am installing SAP on Windows 2008, sapinst is running OK. For installation sources I need to use mounted network drives, because of low disk space on server. On Win 2003 it works fine. But on W 2008 I am unable to chose the attached network drive in sapinst. I see just C: and 😧 (CD-ROM). But there is not visible the attached W: drive which points to another server. I also tried to enter the path manually, but sapinst is not able to handle it. Does anybody have the same problem?

Thanks,

Jiri

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Are those drive visible for all users on the system?

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am logged in as Admin, than I connect the drives and afterwards I start sapinst, so there should not be issue in permissions I guess.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Note: Windows 2008 uses a new User Account Control (UAC) that does no more mean "administrator" may do everything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Account_Control

Also check that the firewall is correctly configured.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

I can access the drives using explerer. From windows I can access, execute etc. From SAPINST I even don't see the drive letters

0 Kudos

The way in which drive mapping is done is different. There are several issues with network drive letters, most of them are based on the UAC stuff.

With UAC you have in principle two possible problem resources:

1. the client side - you are creating network drive letters non elevated and want to use the elevated

2. the server side - without modifying Windows default security settings the access on the server can happen only non elevated.

the easiest way to get around this is to disable UAC during installation.

Otherwise:

1. create the same network drive letters elevated (or try run explorer elevated and click on the drive letter)

2. search in google "remote uac vista"

Hope this helps

Regards

Ken

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you cannot use mapped drives.

Why? because a mapped drive is only accessible to the user and session that created it. This works this way since Windows 2000, it is a Microsoft security feature.

an option that will work is plugging in a USB drive. This drive will be accessible to every user and sessions on your server.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I can use the mapped drives, but only via windows tools, explorer, from command line etc. But not from SAP.

I will check the UAC tomorrow and we will se where the problem is. Thanks for all the help!

Former Member
0 Kudos

My BIG thanks goes to Markus Doehr and Kenneth Brady. The problem was the UAC! After disabled, I can see all the drives again.

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Moved to SAP on Windows forum

debasissahoo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Jiri,

I hope you're installing SAP NetWeaver 7.0 SR3 or SAP NetWeaver 7.1 and higher on Windows Server 2008 as the previous versions of NW on windows 2008 is not supported by SAP. ( Note 1054740)

Regards,

Debasis.