cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Print problem of print form_print preview ok, but print failed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, gurus,

the problem is that i can preview my form but i can't print it out.

it seems to be problems with device type. I've already tried almost all device type but it still doesnot work.

Form property:

Preview Type: Print form only one side

XDP preview type: Acrobat 7 static

SPAD Configuration:

Output Device: Standard, PDF1

Host spool access method: F

Host Printer: _default

I am using Adobe Livecycle Designer 8.0 and adobe acrobat 8 professional.

Any help will be appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jiujiang Yang ,

there is a note 685571 - Printing PDF-based forms.

I think it help you.

Michal

Former Member
0 Kudos

First of all try to use print button from inside Adobe Reader when you preview doc.

That should work fine in 99% of cases - this is just Windows printing - but maybe there are some problems.

Is it Ok?

My current SPAD settings for device type that work fine are:

Device attributes tab

Device type: PDF1

Device class: Standard printer

Access Method

Host Spool Access Method G: Front End Printing with Control Tech.

Host printer __DEFAULT (There should be 2 (two!!!) underscore symbols before "DEFAULT")

P.S. ALD and ADS have nothing common with printing of generated PDF when you already see it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, Petr .

I've tried, but it still does not work.

Any further idea?

Edited by: Jiujiang Yang on Apr 14, 2009 11:05 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry, cant' understand what have you tried from what was recommended.

You can't print from Adobe Reader inside SAP window?

Start SE38. Use FP_TEST_00 report. Run it with default parameters and open form for preview.

You must see Adobe Toolbar at the top of the generated form. There's print button there (on Adobe toolbar - not SAP standard). This button calls Adobe Reader standard printing dialog (not SAP) and that should work.

If it is not - than dig it inside Windows - it has nothing common with SAP.

If Adobe standard printing works than go to SAP' SPAD.

There once more check what I've stated. PDF1/G/__DEFAULT are correct setting and should work.

If you form goes to spool (without direct output) then go to the list of your spool requests (SP02 transaction).

See if your forms are in the list. Try to output them from here using "Print Directly". See what system says in return - check status column.

If noting helps go buy some beer and bribe your admin.

Some tricky problems can arise if you work remotely (not inside LAN) and there are limitations (they usually exist) in network protocols/ports. This is also a good question to ask admins.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you, Petr.

I can print the form by Print button on Adobe Toolbar, I still can't print the form by SAP standard print button.

When I use Adobe PDF as frontend printer, I got message: this document failed to print .

In the adobe print dialog, i got a document name in mysapworkdir and status: error, but i can't find the document under my sapwork directory folder.

When I use HP LaserJet 1160 as frontend printer, i got about 10 pages with messy codes.

I also checked SPAD, the settings are the same as yours. And I work inside LAN.

What should i do then?

Former Member
0 Kudos

There's no need of and no logic in "printing" generated PDF to your Adobe PDF printer which creates PDF files. Why do you want to do that if u already have PDF? If you need to save PDF use save button on Adobe Reader toolbar or built-in functions of SAP solution to return PDF from ADS and save it to server or locally.

At the same time, printing PDF to your HP printer makes sense. Pitty it is not working.

Try experimenting with device types. Maybe create new Output Device, and use some HP device type like HPLJ1100 for it?

As for PDF device type all I can add is just the config of my PDF1 device type (just in case).

Device type PDF1

Name PDF ISO Latin-14.6D+

Attributes

SAPscript handling

Driver PDF1 PDF converter

Page printer Yes

List handling

Printer driver PDF1 PDF Converter

Argument Empty

Printer character set

1. Character set Printer POSTSCPT ISO 8859/1 (Latin 1)

Synt. character set 0

Print Controls

this screen contains a long list of device specific print controls

I'm afraid, that my knowledge on the topic are limited to what was already said.

Please ask you admin for more help.