cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heterogeneous Solaris 10 + Oracle.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Basis. We have the ECC 6.0, on Solaris SPARC, oracle 10.2.0.4. We would like to know whether there are any flaws, if the dialog instance, will be installed on

x86-64 platform? Who ever used this scenario before? Regards.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can use your App servers in heterogenous environment.

Go through SAP notes 80266 & 680617.

Regards,

Sachin Rane.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, both notes are about NT and Unix, in our scenario both systems are Solaris, one on SPARC other on x86_64 ... Yes i'm read notes about this, but i'm aksing about experience of using this configuration, and any side effects . Regards.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sergo,

I recently migrated a customer of mine to a platform with DB/CI on Sparc and appservers on Solaris x86_64 (at the same time the system was migrated to Unicode). The configuration works fine and we did not encounter any problems caused by the heterogeneous setup. Nevertheless, looking at the SAP notes, there might be some issues related to the big-endian (Sparc) vs. little-endian (x86) architecture, mostly in the printing area. I suggest you do a note lookup with "big-endian" as search term and look at what might be relevant for your environment. Some patches, e.g. kernel, might be required.

Regards,

Mark

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> . Nevertheless, looking at the SAP notes, there might be some issues related to the big-endian (Sparc) vs. little-endian (x86) architecture, mostly in the printing area. I suggest you do a note lookup with "big-endian" as search term and look at what might be relevant for your environment.

In printing - to printers? The SAP printer drivers are not "endian'essed", I don't see a reason why it shouldn't work. What CAN be a problem is, if you use the spooler system to output data onto a filesystem because the data is then in the endianess of the system writing the data.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

> In printing - to printers? The SAP printer drivers are not "endian'essed",>

No, but the spool servers processing the request are. Note search on "big-endian" + SAP_BASIS 700 gives 9 hits in BC-CCM-PRN area plus a few in RFC and others. Admittedly most of these are bugs fixed in a pretty early SP, but nevertheless my advice stands: check the notes for potential issues with endian-ness.

Regards,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for replaying, it's good

The configuration works fine and we did not encounter any problems caused by the heterogeneous setup

I wiil check notes about spooling and ither problems in "big-endian".

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all again.

to Mark Mergaerts , you say you use x86_64 servers without issues, we find some info about

SAP on Intel x86_64 --> if server hase a small number of CPU's or core's system performance severely falls ... How many your systems has it ? If any one have same configuration, please share the experience of using

it. Thanks and Regards.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> to Mark Mergaerts , you say you use x86_64 servers without issues, we find some info about

> SAP on Intel x86_64 -->

http://www.saponsolaris.com

Here all certified and tested hardware is listed.

> if server hase a small number of CPU's or core's system performance severely falls ... How many your systems has it ? If any one have same configuration, please share the experience of using

> it.

We make use of Solaris x86_64 on various different HP ProLiant configurations (DL380/385, DL580/585) hardware combined using zones/containers and ZFS for consolidation, works like a flaw. The machines vary from 2 CPUs/cores to 16 cores. What I experience is that a the less cores and physical CPUs a machines has the faster it is (so a 4 x 2 cores system is faster than a 2 x 4 cores).

We also have a Sun Cluster 3.2 on x86_64 with zones and ZFS.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Markus for reply. We have same Sun Cluster 3.2 but on Sparc. Now we want to add more dialog instances on x86_64. Thanks again.