cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the diff. b/n BOE XI3.1 and BO Edge BI. Which one do I need for SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am doing a feasibility study on using BO for front-end reporting on top of SAP BI7.0. I have primarily been an SAP consultant and fairly new to BO. After reading various docs and blogs, I was able to get some understanding on how BO is intergrated with SAP. My primary goal is to be able to use BO's front-end tools like crystal reports, Xcelsius, Webi, etc, on data that is residing in BI7.0. My question is which componets do I need to download from the marketplace to realize this goal. I am a bit confused b/n BOE XI3.1 and BO Edge BI. What is the diff. between them and which one shud I use for BI. And where are the components installed? On BI server or WAS, or a brand new server. Also how are the BO objects transported with ref. to BI objects.

Appreciate your thoughts...

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the Info...

Should I install BO Inetgration Kit for SAP on each client? Because even if I have installed the Integration Kit on the server, I'm not able to connect with SAP credential with the Univers Designer I have on my PC.

Thanks,

Ernest

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you would need to install the SAP Authentication at least and the connectivity on the clients that either will create reports with for example Crystal Reports or create Universes.

Ingo

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Smitha,

BusinessObjects Enterprise is the server component for large enterprise customers.

BusinessObjects Edge is the server component for mid market.

here are some blogs and material that should help and feel free to contact me in case you need more information.

BusinessObjects and SAP - Overview

/people/ingo.hilgefort/blog/2008/02/07/businessobjects-and-sap-part-i

Install Part #1

/people/ingo.hilgefort/blog/2008/09/17/businessobjects-and-sap--installation-and-configuration-part-1-of-4

Install Part #2

/people/ingo.hilgefort/blog/2008/09/17/businessobjects-and-sap--installation-and-configuration-part-2-of-4

Install Part #3

/people/ingo.hilgefort/blog/2008/09/17/businessobjects-and-sap--installation-and-configuration-part-3-of-4

Install Part #4

/people/ingo.hilgefort/blog/2008/09/17/businessobjects-and-sap--installation-and-configuration-part-4-of-4

SAP Authentication

/people/ingo.hilgefort/blog/2008/09/19/businessobjects-and-sap--configure-sap-authentication

Technical Material

/people/ingo.hilgefort/blog/2008/11/19/businessobjects-integration-with-sap-netweaver-bi--technical-material

Ingo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, Ingo for the info. I have been following your blogs and they have been of great help. I think BOE is the right component for us. I found the following in the marketplace.

u2022 BOBJ ENTERPRISE (does this include front-end tools like CR, Xcel, webi?)

u2022 BOBJ INTGR.FOR SAP

Are these the right components and will they be sufficient to get BO up and running or do I need any other components?

As per the server, any best-practices on that? We want our TCO to be at a minimum at this point. Can we use any of our existing SAP infrastructure for BO.

Thanks!

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Smitha,

BusinessObjects Enterprise is just the server component. the client components like Crystal Reports Designer or Xcelsius Designer are separate downloads.

In regards to the infrastructure - that depends on what you have. You can check the supported platforms at http://service.sap.com/bosap-support

ingo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks. Here is the revised list.

u2022 BOBJ INTGR.FOR SAP

u2022 BOBJ KA CRYSTAL REPORTS

u2022 BOBJ KA LIVE OFFICE

u2022 BOBJ KA VOYAGER

u2022 BOBJ KA WEB INTELLIGENCE

u2022 BOBJ KA XCELSIUS

I will install these compnents and let you know if I run into trouble.

Thanks again!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

we hat questions regarding in what to install and what software do we need.

Finally we decided to install BO Edge Standard 3.1 ('cause we are not a big enterprise) and BO Inegration Kit for SAP (to connect to our SAP BW).

My copany wants to use CR and Xcelsius using the SAP BW as the source. And also, we want to test the Widgets and Polestar tools.

I guessed Xcelsius is a Client software and it should be installed on each client, but I could not figure out what to do with CR? Should I install any software of CR on the server? WHat about Widgets and Polestar?

At the moment I already installed BO Edge Series 3.1 and the BO Integration Kit for SAP Solutions on a server (windows 32bits).

Could you please tell me where can I found information about that or tell me where (Server - Client) and what(CR, Xcelsius, Widgets,Polestar,..) to install where?

Thanks in advance,

Ernest

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Crystal Reports is a client tool and you can treat it like the Xcelsius Designer.

Polestar is webbased and you would have to deploy it on your BOE server.

You can find all the installation and deployment guides on http://service.sap.com/bosap-support

Ingo