cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Path coding

Former Member
0 Kudos

Having done an FI module in SAP r/3 (4c), I discover that I do not know how to use the coding method to get to a page within the module. At the moment I

am simply clicking each page and sub page until I get to where I want to be. Can someone please explain, how to work out the code to enter, to get to the page I want to go to?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

ferry_lianto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Listed here are the various ways you can find the list of transaction codes and their usage:

Use transaction SE11 - ABAP Dictionary:

Fill in the Database table name and click the Display button.

- TSTC table will contain all the Tcodes and

- TSTCT table will contain all the Tcodes with Texts.

Once you entered the screen, click in Top Menu - Utilities - Table contents - Display

If you want to display all the transaction code (total - 57,048) you have to change the Fields: Maximum number of hits to 99999 (default 500).

or

Simply goto transaction SM01, although this tcode is to Lock/Unlock any transaction code, you can also view all the tcode available in the R/3 system from here.

or

Goto transaction SE93

There are two ways where you can find the list of transaction codes in SE93.

Method 1:

You must be familiar with the starting characters strings for each of the R/3 application modules.

Assuming you know that most Materials Management transaction codes start with MM.

In the Fields: Transaction code, type in MM* and press the function key F4

The list of transaction code starting with MM will be displayed.

Method 2:

On the Top Menu, click Utilities - Find - Execute and the first 500 transaction will be display.

If want to display all the tcodes, make sure you remembered to change the Fields: Maximum no. of hits right at the bottom of the screen.

Or you can check this link to browse all available SAP transaction codes by alphabetical order.

http://www.easymarketplace.de/transactions.php

Again, hope this will help.

Regards,

Ferry Lianto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very much for that information. I must say it is very enlightening. Why they couldn't have told us that on the course I do not know. I did ask, but was just shrugged off.

There is one important thing I need to be clear about.

Are you saying that these codes are unique for each and every company / firm that is using SAP?

That is to say in the example I gave earlier, " /NKCH6N " would be of no use to me in another company, because to achieve that same transaction/path, you are saying, they would not be using " /NKCH6N ", because they would almost certainly have created their own unique code, when they set SAP up in their company?

Only I was led to believe, that there was some method of or formula for, working out what the code would be, and therefore, whichever company you worked for, it wouldn't make any difference, because you would just have to use those self same codes for the same transactions, once you had worked them out the first time around, to get to the same end destination (path), but from what you appear to be saying, that is just not true? I would need to find them out every time I started on a new SAP system in another organisation, even if I am using the self same modules (e.g. in FI G.R. & G.P. or M.M. etc.) every time?

Can you you please clarify these points ?

ferry_lianto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

The standard SAP transaction will stay the same for different organization/company for the same SAP release.

So you don't have to worry about it.

Only for custom transaction, it will be completely different from one company to another company.

For example, custom transaction was built to call standard SAP with disable certain button/menu for specific reason for a company. This transaction could be invalid for another company.

The best thing is to create handy note (electronic) for all transaction that you have been working with and all short cut transaction.

Hope this information will help you.

Regards,

Ferry Lianto

Note: Please award point for helpful answer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you all for your replies and thank you Ferry for explaining that in detail, it has clarified the situation. I am only left wondering why other people in the work situation led me up a 'Blind alley' and didn't just explain it honestly in the first place, some hidden agenda perhaps, very worrying, why would people do that?

However, your answers have been very helpful, and I now know where I am on that matter.

I will deal with the 'award points' as soon as the Forum admin. put the points icon/button back again, for some reason it is missing at the moment so I cannot do anything about it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can I send you an e'mail please? anton@perso.be

ferry_lianto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am not sure whether show the transaction is available in R/3 4C. But you can do as follows.

When you are in the screen Allocate code to a chart of accounts, press F1 and F4 to get the program name.

Then go to transaction code SE38/SA38 and enter above program name and click where used list button. System will pop up window and select transaction code and hit select button. From here you should be able to see the transaction code to go directly to Allocate code to a chart of accounts.

Hope this will help.

Regards,

Ferry Lianto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your answers, but they are not dealing with what I am asking.

What I want to know is how to work out what the "transaction code" is to get to a destination.

The example I gave was just that, just an ecxample.

I know what to do when I get to the destination.

Just imagine I am in the initial screen / window:-

I want to enter a "payment block reason" to an account, but I do not know the code to get there

so I have to click on the following:

IMG

=> Financial Accounting

=> Account Receivable & Account Payable

=> Business Transaction

=> Outgoing Payments

=> Outgoing Payment Global setting

=> Payment Block Reason

=> Define payment block reason

Now here is an example of a code I do know,

I enter in the Command field in the Tool bar:-

/N which will close the current task,

and then enter

KCH6N

Vis: /NKCH6N

this will take me imediately to "Display the profit centre standard hierachy".

If I did not know this code, I would have to go through each of the following:-

IMG

=>Accounting

=>Controlling

=>Profit centre accounting

=>Master Data

=>Standard Hierachy

=>Display

This takes a good deal longer.

The problem I have is, I do not know how these codes are created or worked out.

If I did not know that /NKCH6N would get me to "Display the profit centre standard hierachy"

How would I work out, that to get there, I need to use the code "KCH6N".

Or put to it another way, how does "KCH6N" translate to "Display the profit centre standard hierachy"

And How does any destination in SAP translate into one of these codes?

How do you work the code out that you need to use?

How did I work out /NKCH6N = "Display the profit centre standard hierachy"?

I didn't, someone wrote it down for me. Now, how did they work it out?

Incidentally, the version is not 4c it is 4.6c (r/3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ton,

I think thats something you would have to ask the SAP people who named the transactions.

but if you want to look for all transactions at one place,

Goto t-code SE80 - Edit Object - Transaction - * (F4) - you will get to see all the transactions.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry I did not make it mor clear.

Let me give you an example.

e.g.

I want to allocate a company code to a chart of accounts in either Goods receivable or in Goods payable.

I have to click on each of the following in turn :-

Master data => Financial accounting => General ledger accounting => G/L accounting => G/L accounts => Master data = > G/L account creation => One step manual(alternative 3) => Allocate code to a chart of accounts; and I am there.

Now when the Course tutor did it, he typed in a code and bang, he was there in one go. No clicking endlessly on menu after menu after menu. One coded entry and he got to where he wanted in one click.

What I want to know is , how do you work out that code for any destination you want to get to, for any module, and any other books (e.g. Cash book or Assets or MM etc. etc. )anywhere in SAP.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am not very sure to understand what you means, I think you want to go directly in a transaction without going through the "SAP easy acces".

To do that, you have to go to the command field. It is situate on the top left of your screen. Here you write the transaction you want to execute.

To show the transaction go on : Extra->Settings->desplay technical names.

The transaction code will appear on your sap menu.

Regards

Valerie

ps : if you need additional help please open a new thread with rewards points activated

Message was edited by: valerie secondy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am not sure to understand very well your question.

I understand you want to enter in a page with transaction code.

In this link you have all the explainations with pictures.

Go in "getting start".

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_470/helpdata/en/e1/8e51341a06084de10000009b38f83b/frameset.htm

If you want, when you open your SAP system, arrive each time on a specific transaction you can configure that in : system/user profile/own data/Default/start menu (write the transaction code you want to see).

Regards

Valérie

Message was edited by: valerie secondy