Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does the # sign mean in my internal table?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I downloaded a file into an internal table as ASCII, I get # signs? What does this mean exactly? Thank-You.

Edited by: TMM on Apr 12, 2009 9:16 AM

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi TMM,

1. sign is an ASCII code replacement for the Horizontal Tab in your file. The ABAP equivalent for it is CL_ABAP_CHAR_UTILITIES=>HORIZONTAL_TAB

Hence to get the individual columns from a line separated by # use SPLIT AT CL_ABAP_CHAR_UTILITIES=>HORIZONTAL_TAB and it should help.

Cheers,

Aditya

3 REPLIES 3

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi TMM,

1. sign is an ASCII code replacement for the Horizontal Tab in your file. The ABAP equivalent for it is CL_ABAP_CHAR_UTILITIES=>HORIZONTAL_TAB

Hence to get the individual columns from a line separated by # use SPLIT AT CL_ABAP_CHAR_UTILITIES=>HORIZONTAL_TAB and it should help.

Cheers,

Aditya

Former Member
0 Kudos
  1. indicates tab delimited data.

Try uploading comma seperated file.

Regards,

Lalit Mohan Gupta.

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
  1. may indicate a tab character. It also may indicate a carriage return or linefeed.

Generally, any non-displayable character will be seen as a #. However, the data remains unchanged, as you can see if you look at the hex values in the debugger.

matt