cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

virtual memory

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All ,

i Am trying to install ECC 6.0 IDES on win 2003 having 2 gb ram....

done 3 partation 20 for OS

400 for sap data

rest for dump

but when ever i am going to set virtual memory it is showing me that you can not set more that 4096 max limit.

can any body tell me why it is showing so......

because in between of installation it is giving me message to increase virtual memory...up 7012...

but i am not able....

please provide me the solution.

Regards

Dik

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Problem here is that you are using standard version of 2003 32 bits, so to be able to get more than 4 Gb for swap you need to use the /PAE option in the boot.ini file in C:\ , this will allow to use a lot more than 4 Gb for swap file.

Now, using 2 Gb for ECC 6.0 will probably make the system veeeery slow.

Good Luck,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

No, the /PAE option has nothing to do with swap space : it is to use more than 4GB pf physical RAM on 32 bit windows.

The solution has already be given : Create as much as needed of 4GB swap files.

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry to disagree with you but once you use /PAE option then you can create a bigger swap file (and windows will recognize more than 4Gb of RAM if installed), I have done this lots of time, just give it a try and watch the miracle

To give you an Idea we have ECC 6.0 IDES with 16Gb of swap file in just ONE drive because we have RAID 0 in 5 disks and only C drive (this is only for demos and tests, that´s why is just one disk)

Former Member
0 Kudos

sir what is the/PAE option and how can i use it.

Regards

dik

Edited by: dik on Apr 15, 2009 7:57 AM

debasissahoo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

follow..

SAP Note 1102149 describes How to enable the PAE switch

regards,

Debasis.

Former Member
0 Kudos

dear dik your problem can sloved out by assign virtual memory upto 4096 to each( different different)

drive

check it out...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Anuj,

i got the solution now...

but want to know more about PAE option

as i found in discussion X is saying ok while Y is saying no agree.

please can any body tell me in detail

regards

Dik

Former Member
0 Kudos

I´m sorry for the delay,

This is very easy to do, just open the boot.ini file that is in the root C drive, if you don´t see it you need to configure the File explorer to see protected system files. Once there you will find one long row and at that Row at the end add the /PAE option, save and reboot the server.

Once you do this you can enter to configure the virtual memory and you could use more than 4096 Mb in one drive. This option lets the system to "Read" and address more memory pages than the usual 4Mb limit that 32 Bits impose in Operating Systems.

You could try this and if don´t want to use it just erase the option again from the boot.ini and everything will be standard again, you won´t loose much effort or time doing this but can gain in knowledge and could use it in future installs if needed

If you want to know more about this option and memory management in 32 bits do a search at the Microsoft KnowledgeBase page (this option is supported by Microsoft, this is not a trick), I can´t paste the link here because I only have access to SAP pages only in the client I´m right now.

Good Luck

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please check attached note for PAE

[https://websmp130.sap-ag.de/sap(bD1lbiZjPTAwMQ==)/bc/bsp/spn/sapnotes/index2.htm?numm=1102149]

Former Member
0 Kudos

dear Dik ,

Mr AC also saying correct thing....

and look at it what i am sending ...

WHAT PAE do...

PAE(Physical Address Extension) X86 allows software using the address windowing extensions API set and running on a computer with an intel pentium pro processor od larger, and more than 4 gb of physical memory to map more physical memory into the application's virtual address space..

ok

some times what happen

When you run Microsoft SQL Server on a Microsoft Windows Server 2003-based computer, data that is saved to the SQL Server database may be corrupted.

and

This problem may occur if you use the Intel Physical Addressing Extension (PAE) specification to support more than 4 gigabytes (GB) of installed memory in your computer. This problem occurs when a Page Table Entry (PTE) is in the process of having its physical address changed, and only the low-order word has been filled in when another processor begins using this page. To prevent a PTE from being used before its complete physical address has been assigned.

To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Windows Server 2003. & hotfix is only for the x86 platform.

To work around this problem, do not use the /PAE switch in the Boot.ini file.

Note When you remove the /PAE switch from the Boot.ini file, your computer cannot use all its available memory.

Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section. This problem was first corrected in Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for all sharing knowledge with me

Regards

Dik

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi ,

install suportpack 2 for windows2003.this will help

regards,

ajai

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear,

you can upgrade your virtual memory up to 3 times of physical memory.....

do one thing if you can increase RAM else as you say you have three drive then set for both c or d drive maximum limit.

regards

Anuj

Former Member
0 Kudos

dik,

you can not set more that 4096 max limit.

Try to assign on two drives (e.g. c: and d:) 4096 each.

Hope this helps.

Manoj