Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do we share knowledge online? A research invitation :)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Members,

I am a postgraduate student in the University of Auckland, currently enrolled in the Master’s degree in Information Systems. As part of my degree, I am conducting a research survey about virtual communities. My interest is to find out WHY people feel like sharing knowledge in virtual communities where there may be no physical cues and rewards for this activity.

You are invited to participate in the survey which is designed to explore the reasons that encourage people to participate in virtual communities. Please complete the questionnaire by clicking the link below. I appreciate your time and effort on this!

http://comsurvey.isom.auckland.ac.nz/ss/wsb.dll/jsun028/SCKEVC.htm

Feel free to contact me at jsun028@ec.auckland.ac.nz if you have any questions.

Thank you!

Daniel

1 REPLY 1

Former Member
0 Kudos

We all know that knowledge is power, but some People are insecure about the value of their Knowledge, so they don't share!

and people People don't trust each other, so they don't share!

and some people are afraid of negative consequences of sharing knowledge, so they don't share!

and some People work for other people who don't tell what they know, so they don't share!

people who are rewarded for individual performance were least likely to share information among teams within organizations.

On the other hand people who get reaward for team performance shares more, and more and more....

and people who gets reward for company performance shares the most.

The more we share the more powerful we get in terms of knowledge. its a two way channel.

There are also reasons why companies host knowledge sharing communities because....

they will get to know how their customer's are using their software, or products... and what they trying to do with it,

and how they trying to do with it, and may be will find some bugs, issues,problems,quality issues... bottlenecks....and so,and so....and this becomes a source of wealth for them to do new R&D on new features or products or enhancements

which would benifit them in terms of bringing new products or solutions in market for their customers

which will evntually will benefit all parties including solution providers, and us all. By Sharing you bring good things to mankind, so please contine to share..benefits are countless.